PDA

View Full Version : Leather seat repair or replace??

Russell
07-05-2008, 10:53 AM
My driver’s side seat BACK (pergament) has worn through where you slide in. Just a 3-inch strip on the lower side of the stitched seam.

I know I can buy a new cover, OEM states over $700 US for the top seat cover. I suspect a used seat will be just as bad as mine.

I will consult my local vehicle upholstery shop to see if they can repair. However, I doubt is they can match the leather or color.

Are there any alternatives? TIA

Paul in NZ
07-05-2008, 08:39 PM
isnt there an repair solution...isit leatherique or something like that?

bubba966
07-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Buy a passenger side seat and swap the hardware from the drivers seat over to the passenger set to turn it into a drivers seat.

repenttokyo
07-05-2008, 09:12 PM
My driver’s side seat (pergament) has worn through where you slide in. Just a 3-inch strip on the lower side of the stitched seam.

I know I can buy a new cover, OEM states over $700 US for the top seat cover. I suspect a used seat will be just as bad as mine.

I will consult my local vehicle upholstery shop to see if they can repair. However, I doubt is they can match the leather or color.

Are there any alternatives? TIA

my driver's side seat doesn't hve the problems you are describing, and it's much older - 4 years. So I think you will definitely be able to find used seats in better condition than your own.

Russell
07-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Possibly. I would want a reasonably local source so I can take a look at the back before I buy. otherwise the seat bottom is fine.

dennyg
07-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I happen to have a nice parchment seat cover that I got from Regal. Some guy in AZ was interested in it but has not said he would buy it. Much easier to replace the covers then to take off seat and get another shipped. Its used but in very good shape. Send me your email and I will send a picture of it.

I just sent front seats to Saint Louis MO. and although the shipping was not too bad, securing them on a skid took a long time. 400 pounds was about 150 bucks. Seat cover can fit inside a medium size box...

Russell
07-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks-I sent you an e-mail

Ross
07-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Wrecking yards are loaded with near perfect rear seats that would make excellent donors for a bit of original leather to repair your seat.

Russell
07-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Wrecking yards are loaded with near perfect rear seats that would make excellent donors for a bit of original leather to repair your seat.

Ross, I am considering this appoach. However none of my local yards seem to have any appropiate BMWs. Never do! Do you have a handle on how to search regionally for used BMW parts? Thanks

Ross
07-07-2008, 12:13 PM
I would sniff around the BM forums looking for parts cars near me.