PDA

View Full Version : Gas consumption meter

Bo525i
07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Is my gas consumption meter wired wrong or something?

When I drive it shows the l/100kms (euro car) as it should but when I slow down to near nothing or make a halt it goes beyond the 30l/100 mark and hides (white arrow on pic), thats the opposite of the 0 mark!

I find that kinda wierd if its normal and it actually screws with the averages measured by the obc..

repenttokyo
07-02-2008, 05:19 PM
totally normal behaviour - if you aren't moving, then you are diving by zero....so there's no fuel efficiency to show. an engine is least efficient when idling.

it doesn't 'screw' with the averages on the obc - the fact that you are burning fuel and not moving means your average fuel economy goes down....

Bo525i
07-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Thx for clearing this up for me!

"it doesn't 'screw' with the averages on the obc"
Well it does actually, lets say I start up a new average measure in idle before leaving for work, then quietly roll off with a very light foot, I then see the obc telling me that Iīm using +30l/100 and dropping for like 10-15 mins till Iīve been on the freeway for some time and the values settle around 11-12l/100 so it does affect the measurement during that whole trip because of the "beyond" 30l/100 position.. Now if I clear the values during the trip, just before or on the freeway my average will be 8,8 or so even at high speeds ;)

Details I know, but still :)

Paul in NZ
07-03-2008, 04:39 AM
Dont start at rest then.Start a new measure when the car is warm too,because cold running is rich running.My average has dropped slightly lately,because its colder and i now have a shorter trip to work,so the cold running is now a bigger proportion of my trip.

BradHouser
07-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Is my gas consumption meter wired wrong or something?

When I drive it shows the l/100kms (euro car) as it should but when I slow down to near nothing or make a halt it goes beyond the 30l/100 mark and hides, thats the opposite of the 0 mark!

I find that kinda wierd if its normal and it actually screws with the averages measured by the obc..

The gauge doesn't screw with the averages: stopping changes the averages.

If you aren't moving you are getting zero MPG, or infinite l/100 Km. Average MPG is Total Miles divided by Gallons, or in your case, Total Liters, divided by Total Hundreds of Km. (remember your Algebra?)

The OBC has only to keep track of liters used and miles driven to calculate the average, by dividing one by the other (depending on which unit, Metric or US, is used).

If the OBC used the gauge as input, it would have to integrate the instantaneous readings over time, clearly a much more complicated and unnecessary calculation, plus it would require enough memory to store every data point, which would eventually fill up and rollover and not be a true average. (Remember your Calculus? No? Integrating is calculating the area under a curve, liters = f(km) or gallons=f(miles).)

repenttokyo
07-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Thx for clearing this up for me!

"it doesn't 'screw' with the averages on the obc"
Well it does actually, lets say I start up a new average measure in idle before leaving for work, then quietly roll off with a very light foot, I then see the obc telling me that Iīm using +30l/100 and dropping for like 10-15 mins till Iīve been on the freeway for some time and the values settle around 11-12l/100 so it does affect the measurement during that whole trip because of the "beyond" 30l/100 position.. Now if I clear the values during the trip, just before or on the freeway my average will be 8,8 or so even at high speeds ;)

Details I know, but still :)

that's how averages work, man.

Bo525i
07-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Sigh! :D So an average of 0 isnīt really 0..

Let me reverse the facts, Iīm riding calmly @ 70 mph on the freeway.. Comsumption is 8,8/100, I now decide to recalculate, keeping speed.. I press the calc and 3 mins later I let go of the acc entirely.. warm engine, no speedups, no real fuel consumption compared to 70 mph,.. the meter passes 30l/100, the OBC registers that fact and I come to a halt, still havenīt touched the acc and I switch off!
Now my consumption shows around 28l/100 so I actually use more gas in idle and with the engine off than @ 70 mph :D ;)

Mind you, that this is only happening with a freshly started consumption calc.. And Iīm just kidding really ;)

Topic answered, my meterīs fine.. Thx!

kev535i
07-03-2008, 05:31 PM
my gas gauge looks like this:D
http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/11/77/20/48/att00010.jpg

bubba966
07-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Let me reverse the facts, Iīm riding calmly @ 70 mph on the freeway.. Comsumption is 8,8/100, I now decide to recalculate, keeping speed.. I press the calc and 3 mins later I let go of the acc entirely.. warm engine, no speedups, no real fuel consumption compared to 70 mph,.. the meter passes 30l/100, the OBC registers that fact and I come to a halt, still havenīt touched the acc and I switch off!
Now my consumption shows around 28l/100 so I actually use more gas in idle and with the engine off than @ 70 mph :D ;)

No, you're not using more gas at idle than you are at 70 mph. You will run out of gas quicker doing 70 than you will sitting and idling.

But, after going through a tank of gas doing 70 how many km did you cover? At 8.8/100km you should've gone 860km. And it would've run you dry a little over 7 hours.

If you go through a tank of gas just sitting there idling and going nowhere how far did you go? 0km. No clue how long that'd take, but it'd be a good bit longer than 7 hours.

Now do you see what your gas consumption gauge is telling you? It's telling you how much gas it takes to cover a certain distance, not how much gas you're using per hour.

Oh, and the OBC average isn't real time unfortunately. It lags a few minutes behind what you're actually doing. So if you drastically change the fuel consumption it'll take a few minutes for that to effect the OBC average.

And that lag can make it really odd sometimes. Occasionally I have fun with the range display and see how much higher I can get the range to read after I've traveled a certain distance. Like when it says I've got 403 miles before the tank's dry. Then I drive 25 miles and it says that I've got 465 miles left before the tank's dry. I increased my MPG so much by driving differently that it raises the average MPG a good bit. And as it's got that lag in the OBC when it calculates the average I've seen it many times continue to go up even as I've sat idling for a minute or two. As in I got stopped at a long light and I've got 464 miles left. Then after idling for a minute or so I've got 466 miles left. I didn't just gain two miles of range by sitting there idling. But due to the lag in the OBC it seems like I had.

repenttokyo
07-03-2008, 07:09 PM
No, you're not using more gas at idle than you are at 70 mph. You will run out of gas quicker doing 70 than you will sitting and idling.

But, after going through a tank of gas doing 70 how many km did you cover? At 8.8/100km you should've gone 860km. And it would've run you dry a little over 7 hours.

If you go through a tank of gas just sitting there idling and going nowhere how far did you go? 0km. No clue how long that'd take, but it'd be a good bit longer than 7 hours.

Now do you see what your gas consumption gauge is telling you? It's telling you how much gas it takes to cover a certain distance, not how much gas you're using per hour.

interestingly, if you unlock your OBC, you can get it to display the liters per hour you are using, like a jet. I think it's function 4.

Paul in NZ
07-04-2008, 03:16 AM
interestingly, if you unlock your OBC, you can get it to display the liters per hour you are using, like a jet. I think it's function 4.
dont want to see that thanks....it may be more than I earn in an hour!

attack eagle
07-04-2008, 03:28 AM
you are still mentally thinking in MPG where a higher number is better...

to the right is WORSE to the left is BETTER, just like the US clusters... so at a stoplight it SHOULD BE as far to the right as it goes.

yours is working 100% correctly, it's just that your Mind is telling you,
"hey! stopped i'm getting 0 mpg, why isn't it at 0?!?!?!"

Instead of
"I'm currently traveling 0 MILES per gallon so I'd use way more than 30 liters of fuel in 100 km!"

0/liters to travel 100 kilometer would be an electric car. Or a really long downhill run with the engine off!

30 liters per 100 kilometer would be 7.83 MPG

or 7.92 gallons per 62 miles... to get MPG, just divide 62 by the liters and multiply by .264 (conversion from liters to gallons)

20l/100km = 11.75 mpg

10l/100km = 23.48 mpg

for your future reference.

Shogun: I looked once a few weeks ago
1.0 LpH a/c off, 1.7 lph at idle in N (192k miles m50)
that is test 03
test 02 is L/100 km

TEST 08 is instantaneous velocity in KPH also Bo525.

Morgenster
07-04-2008, 10:53 AM

That would be about 1-2l hour according to what I calculated by coasting with the engine in idle at a steady speed.

bubba966
07-04-2008, 12:09 PM
If you're using 2l per hour while at idle it should take you about 38 hours to run your tank dry. So you're using significantly less fuel per hour at idle than you are doing 70 down the road.

Dave M
07-04-2008, 01:11 PM
So you're using significantly less fuel per hour at idle than you are doing 70 down the road.

Dammit, I wanted to figure that out!!!

;)

Dave

bubba966
07-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Dammit, I wanted to figure that out!!!

;)

Dave

:p

nirvana19
07-06-2008, 10:51 AM
by the way,
whats the difference between consumption 1 and 2? Before I only had one consumption, but after playing around with what shows up in the check control display all the sudden I have cons1 and cons2 in the check control AND obc. One of them stays basically the same all the time and only changes going on very long trips, while the other updates much faster (i'm guessing a shorter term average, but does anyone know how short term). The long term shows 11.5 mpg while the last time I checked the short term is displayed 23 mpg (right after a long highway run at moderate speeds).

repenttokyo
07-06-2008, 11:36 AM
by the way,
whats the difference between consumption 1 and 2? Before I only had one consumption, but after playing around with what shows up in the check control display all the sudden I have cons1 and cons2 in the check control AND obc. One of them stays basically the same all the time and only changes going on very long trips, while the other updates much faster (i'm guessing a shorter term average, but does anyone know how short term). The long term shows 11.5 mpg while the last time I checked the short term is displayed 23 mpg (right after a long highway run at moderate speeds).

there's no difference. it just lets you select two different starting points. other than that they are completely identical. i use one for trips, and the other for overall fuel consumption.

the reason you see different update rates is because one of them was reset more recently than the other.

if you want to see it on the obc, just push cons twice.

Dave M
07-06-2008, 12:13 PM
there's no difference. it just lets you select two different starting points. other than that they are completely identical. i use one for trips, and the other for overall fuel consumption.

the reason you see different update rates is because one of them was reset more recently than the other.

if you want to see it on the obc, just push cons twice.

Just wanted to add: Use the reset button at top corner to start a new mileage recording on either cons1 or cons2. Like repent, I leave cons2 for a long-term ave and use cons1 to record individual trips.

Dave