PDA

View Full Version : Help with volume knob illumination

The Stretch
07-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Does anyone's Volume knob light up on their OEM cassette deck? I pulled the radio out to fix the LCD display, and noticed there was a bulb there for lighting the volume knob. Regardless of what I do, lights on, lights off, play with the interior dial, I still get no light and 0 volts at the connector. Everything else works fine. If anyone else has this problem or fixed it, please let me know.

pingu
07-02-2008, 06:15 PM
When you say 0 volts at "the" connector, do you mean a connector to the volume knob bulb?

In any case, assuming the other lights are also bulbs, you could try connecting the volume knob bulb in parallel with the other bulbs.

The Stretch
07-02-2008, 11:25 PM
yes, the light bulb has a plastic holder with contacts in it. These contacts are where i was measuring the voltage. The bulb that illuminates the next/track skip buttons measured 4.6 volts when lit. More testing with a different meter showed 30 milivolts at the knob light when the headlights were turned on. I will try patching it in parallel with the other two, so I can at least rule out the bulb.
If anyone can tell me if their knob lights up (hehe) so i know it's supposed to, I'd be much appreciative.

Thanks

uscharalph
07-05-2008, 04:22 PM
I believe the knob has a little line on it that lights up. It indicates the volume level the radio is currently set to. You probably have a much newer model than my Pioneer KE-83ZBM