PDA

View Full Version : 540 Lower Control Arms w/Grease Fittings?

Jehu
07-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Tonight i noticed a clunking sound going over bumps slowly then out on the highway steering was spacey with some play,car seemed to wander . Pulled over checked right front wheel which had substantial play.Jacked up saw the Ball Joint on the Lower Control Arm loose. The Gas Station Mechanic who jacked me up said make sure I get replacements whose ball joints have grease fittings. He said without the ability to grease them they heat up and wear out . Do the OE replacement Lower Aluminum Control Arms fit this description? Is he mixing things up ?

Any merit to using the Steel replacements?

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Nope, No fittings...just filled with grease and sealed for your protection.

Was the boot ripped up? That is what usually leads to failure

Jehu
07-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Yah it was no longer intact. I am surprised they lasted this long I hit so many savage road aberrations such as differing pavement heights during resurfacing jobs. Who thinks a sign that reads; "BUMP" means the road is suddenly going to abruptly rise two inches where the new asphalt was left unmatched with the old milled down road surface.... hitting that at 70 is unbelievable... These arms are kind of pricey,never had to look at them till now...like over $300 for a pair? at least they look simple to change.

bimmo_2007
07-02-2008, 03:44 AM
Yah it was no longer intact. I am surprised they lasted this long I hit so many savage road aberrations such as differing pavement heights during resurfacing jobs. Who thinks a sign that reads; "BUMP" means the road is suddenly going to abruptly rise two inches where the new asphalt was left unmatched with the old milled down road surface.... hitting that at 70 is unbelievable... These arms are kind of pricey,never had to look at them till now...like over $300 for a pair? at least they look simple to change.

Yeah they last longer than thrust arms, I'd recommend replacing them with alum. arms.

Jehu
07-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah they last longer than thrust arms, I'd recommend replacing them with alum. arms.

Yah,I have a pair of Lemforder Aluminum arms on the way,$322.90 shipped.

whiskychaser
07-02-2008, 01:45 PM
The Gas Station Mechanic who jacked me up said make sure I get replacements whose ball joints have grease fittings. He said without the ability to grease them they heat up and wear out

Somewhere I have a brand new grease gun I bought about 35 years ago. Its never been used as car manufacturers stopped fitting grease nipples to joints. Your mechanic may have been thinking of trucks where some parts still have them