PDA

View Full Version : Audio suggestions

scoop2004
07-01-2008, 08:46 AM
When i buy my E34 upoin my return to the UK ill be after sorting some decent audio for it. I wont need uber loud but i would like to be able to feel the bass and not have any distortion.

What size speakers are the standard units and is there an OEM CD player out there that can feed £100 component speakers quite well (My ford CD6000 in my current car sounds perfect through my alpine and infinity OEM sized and located speakers so i want at least that quality)

Any suggestions?

525i winter driver
07-01-2008, 02:08 PM
When i buy my E34 upoin my return to the UK ill be after sorting some decent audio for it. I wont need uber loud but i would like to be able to feel the bass and not have any distortion.

What size speakers are the standard units and is there an OEM CD player out there that can feed £100 component speakers quite well (My ford CD6000 in my current car sounds perfect through my alpine and infinity OEM sized and located speakers so i want at least that quality)

Any suggestions?
dude it's tricky because there is a factory amp in the rear that also has the crossover system for the 10 factory speakers. the speakers in it are pretty good already imo it's just the amp that sucks... you can bypass it if you know what you are doing. i haven't done it yet my head unit still runs through the amp it's fine for now... i would try to get that setup first either that or completely redo all the wiring and put in your own crossovers.

pingu
07-01-2008, 06:06 PM
I don't think the British E34s had the 10 speaker set up - at least not the two that I've had. If you get 5.25 inch speakers then you fit them behind or (if your speakers are deeper than the original ones) on the front of the kick panels. If on the front you'll need to do some (straightforward) trimming of the kick panels.

If you want bass then I'd suggest trying the Infinity Basslink - it's easy to install and I'm certainly happy with it.

Ferret
07-01-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't think the British E34s had the 10 speaker set up - at least not the two that I've had. If you get 5.25 inch speakers then you fit them behind or (if your speakers are deeper than the original ones) on the front of the kick panels. If on the front you'll need to do some (straightforward) trimming of the kick panels.

If you want bass then I'd suggest trying the Infinity Basslink - it's easy to install and I'm certainly happy with it.

Yeah, UK cars are very rarely fitted with an amp!

Quite simple wiring in them too :D

525i winter driver
07-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Yeah, UK cars are very rarely fitted with an amp!

Quite simple wiring in them too :D
i had no idea thanks for setting me straight guys, no wonder there are so many different wiring diagrams. i have spent hours and hours... worth it even just for the door tweeters imo tho but the amp (here) is a p o s.

Incantation
07-01-2008, 11:42 PM
the fronts are 5 1/4 if i remember correctly but you can cut the kickpanel and fit a 6.5 nicely in there with the tweet in the a-pillar. not "accoustically correct" but sounds great. anything is better than the junky stock system

rears are for fill.. no point putting anything there. if u do, just cut out all the crap i nthe back (mount etc) and you can put some 6.5s in there too

most importantly.. the trunk is a coffin.. only way to get any decent bass is to port through the ski hole.. it depends on your budget of course.. but u said u don't want a lot of bass so if u wanna keep the budget low port through there

or.. buy some 6 or 8 inch subs and mount em in the back dash

Ferret
07-02-2008, 02:42 AM
most importantly.. the trunk is a coffin.. only way to get any decent bass is to port through the ski hole.. it depends on your budget of course.. but u said u don't want a lot of bass so if u wanna keep the budget low port through there

or.. buy some 6 or 8 inch subs and mount em in the back dash

:D buy a tourer - they make for excellent sub installs;
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/Car/IMG_9080.jpg

attack eagle
07-02-2008, 05:45 AM
OEM cd player won;t feed any speaker well.

But it will feed an aftermarket amp quite well, which you can then connect to a pair of aftermarket component speakers with new wiring.

I'm actually getting sick of the OEM speakers, even with 80w RMS on em.

You UK/ LHD types are lucky as you do not have the big 'dead pedal" on the left side to interfere with fitting 6.5" speakers. I'll probably be asking for someone to find me one later this year.

pingu
07-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Lucky? We have the "live" pedal on the right hand side to interfere - doing the kick panel on this side was deffo more a pain in the arse!

attack eagle
07-02-2008, 07:30 AM
yep, but at least what you were building off of was flat...

scoop2004
07-02-2008, 01:03 PM
5.25" components all round it is then...or maybe 6.5"s in the rear..all depends on how easy it is to cut up and fit 6.5"s without making it look messy