PDA

View Full Version : Device to test a dash 3W lamp?

Mordan
07-01-2008, 06:54 AM
one of my dash lamp does not lit. It looks fine and pretty new. How would you test it outside of the car?

aiin't there a device out there pumping current at a specified Voltage and Wattage?

Thanks

Mordan

shogun
07-01-2008, 07:04 AM
a 12 V battery and 2 wires will do the trick or a multimeter

Ferret
07-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Just stick the terminals on a 9v square battery :) it'll glow dimly - or as shogun suggests, a multimeter will suffice!

whiskychaser
07-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Assume you have the dash out or you wouldnt know if it looks good or not. The back of the dash is marked with the wattage by each bulb. Swap it with one of the bulbs that DOES light and you will have your answer.

Mordan
07-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Assume you have the dash out or you wouldnt know if it looks good or not. The back of the dash is marked with the wattage by each bulb. Swap it with one of the bulbs that DOES light and you will have your answer.

you are sick.

I have a multimeter. So I guess you would use it in link mode or whatever it is called. i.e. it bips if current flows from red to black (black to red?)
I will buy a 12V battery for testing purpose anyway. sounds like fun.

thx for the input

Paul in NZ
07-01-2008, 03:52 PM
you are sick.

I have a multimeter. So I guess you would use it in link mode or whatever it is called. i.e. it bips if current flows from red to black (black to red?)
I will buy a 12V battery for testing purpose anyway. sounds like fun.

thx for the input
you got it,you are checking for continuity,so resistance range .Place rterminals together and you get the bleep.Put terminals across the bulb and you will get a bleep if its good and silence if its bad.Check one of the good ones first to make sure you are doing it right

whiskychaser
07-01-2008, 04:43 PM
you are sick.

Amazing! I really havent felt well for a couple of days

pingu
07-01-2008, 06:09 PM
The multimeter will probably only beep if it thinks it's seeing no electrical resistance. The resistance of even a cold bulb (the resistance of the filament increases when the bulb is on) might be too high to get any beeps so you might get a false reading of the bulb.