PDA

View Full Version : Erratic Wipers ??

525i
06-30-2008, 04:32 PM
95 525 i

Windsheild wipers work and then stop, wont shut off, only work on high speed.

At times they will work properly, speed sensitive function as well - then stop mid wipe and need to play with the switch to get them to rest.

Any help would be appreciated. - been working in this for a while

Thanks

bubba966
06-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Might want to check out the speed sensor in the diff. As that's tied into the wiper system have heard of a bad or going bad speed sensor causing goofiness with the wipers.

genphreak
07-01-2008, 06:43 AM
Very definately it is the 80A fusible link, beginning to go, fractured or corroded. They cost like $2, are near the battery on a 535 and on the front shock tower on a 525. You just have to swap it out. :) Nick

bubba966
07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Very definately it is the 80A fusible link, beginning to go, fractured or corroded. They cost like $2, are near the battery on a 535 and on the front shock tower on a 525. You just have to swap it out. :) Nick

For a '95 525 the fusible link should be next to the battery under the seat.

And it's true, when the fusible link starts to go bad it does cause intermittent weirdness like what you're experiencing with your wipers.

And it's a cheaper thign to try out than the speed sensor in the diff. Also good preventative maintinence to replace the fusible link at this time before it fully goes and leaves you stranded somewhere.

525i
07-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Might want to check out the speed sensor in the diff. As that's tied into the wiper system have heard of a bad or going bad speed sensor causing goofiness with the wipers.

It turned out to be a partially broken wire at the wiper switch in the engine bay near the firewall on the drivers side.

I removed the wipers and cowl and checked the switch and wires, 1 wire was almost broken through. I repaired the wire and sealed the switch connections.

The symptoms have gone away.

Thanks for the suggestions - hope this helps others.