PDA

View Full Version : Shadowline - ok whats the trick to tape

misfortune
06-29-2008, 09:48 PM
So I've used archive.org to pull down gordon's page on shadowlining with that tape, and I have it sitting here, but I'd like any tips and tricks that you guys have for me.

Any other blackout tapers here?

Jehu
06-29-2008, 10:59 PM
I had a body shop paint mine when they did other painting and bodywork last winter. Showing some chipping now so it'll need to be redone but it looks OK for the most part. Seems easier and shouldn't be a problem if you use enough tape off and paper covering... Ideally I'd imagine some scuffing and or self etching primer might reduce any chipping due to road debris/sandblasting etc.. Take some pics of the results.

http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/wash2.BMP

kev535i
06-30-2008, 03:22 AM
tapeing tips
-put tape strips in sun to make more managable - or use a hair dryer
-a spray bottle with water and a couple o drops of detergent - spray just before aplication to give you a "bit of play"
- clean with methelated spirits- the cleaner the better the stick
-i started front of car working to back
- the rear door curve is the hardest but remember most is not visible when door is closed
- handy tools are very sharp box cutter type knife and a lamenated card to push into the difficult "seams" where rubber meets chrome and a needle to get rid of air bubbles
- take you time and stay calm! - 4 beer job!
- i also did the inside chrome/plastic and the best way to do this is remove the door panels
http://www.users.bigpond.com/kevinfishing/car2.jpg

Dave M
06-30-2008, 11:44 AM
tapeing tips

take you time and stay calm! - 4 beer job!

That is exactly what went wrong with mine. At 160lbs, on a real hot, sunny day, I was able to get the passenger side done nicely. The drivers side unfortunately never did get done ;) The rest of my day was lovely.

Dave

Bo525i
06-30-2008, 05:13 PM
What tape exactly are you guys recommending for this?

Dave M
06-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Trimbrite Blackout Tape. Use two rolls for an e34, including window sills.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Misc/trimbrite.jpg

///Sniper535
07-01-2008, 12:40 AM
I prefer painting, i used the tape method, it shrunk and peeled off months later. The shinny black paint looks better. Remember when painting;
-sand
-prime
-sand if nessesary
-paint
-clear coat

TADA!

Let dry for a few hours, I'd recommend overnight

kev535i
07-01-2008, 03:18 AM
the tape i used was aquired from a signwriter- they use it on shop windows and race cars nicknamed" 5 year tape" it is available in any length or width and very reasonabley priced. mine has been on for a couple of years with no problems - if it shrinks and peels off you may have stretched ti too much and your surface not clean enough - i prefer the flat black look to shinny black - as real shadowline is

filip00
07-01-2008, 10:48 AM
i color painted mine, but i used MATTE black color without the glossy finish. i think it looks fantastic.