PDA

View Full Version : Ash tray popping open fix

bubba966
06-29-2008, 04:37 PM
So in talking with Ross today about what parts he had available while I was buying a set of used front strut assemblies I asked if he had whatever part that kept the ashtray from flying open under acceleration as mine does that under hard acceleration.

He went to check on the dash assembly he's got and came back and told me that the little tab underneath the ash tray provides the resistance to prevent the ash tray from opening by itself.

So, I pulled my ashtray out and bent that tab a little farther out than it was. Slapped it back in and had a bit of a go around the neighborhood to see if I could get the ash tray to pop open like it always does.

And the ash tray didn't budge a bit.:D

Will test it out more later this week, but it looks like that's the fix for the loose ash tray. Bend that tab underneath it out a little bit more so that it provides a little bit more friction, and that should solve the problem.

bubba966
06-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Drove a bit on the spirited side this morning on the way to work, and the ash tray still didn't budge. Seems like bending the retaining tab out a bit was all that was needed to keep the ash tray from opening itself under hard acceleration.

Ross
06-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Slushbox,.... manual owners apply a little more bend to the tab.