PDA

View Full Version : Emissions test from hell . . .

gale
06-29-2008, 11:09 AM
So last Sunday I took the wife's m50 for the mandatory bi-annual emissions test. I took it out on the interstate & got it good & hot. It passed the tailpipe emissions but flunked the gas cap vacuum test. Then the b*tch (car) overheated when driving home to swap gas caps from my e32.

I never made it back for a re-test that day but instead, removed the thermostat and waterpump for inspection -- spun the plastic waterpump impeller on the shaft and the thermostat wouldn't open until 12 degrees F hotter than it was supposed to.

AutohausAZ came thru with new parts in short order. Installed a new waterpump with a metal impeller, and new thermostat & aluminum t-stat housing for good measure. Got a new gas cap too.

Back to re-test: gas cap passes, tailpipe emissions flunked, barely passed at high speed, idle failed hydrocarbons -- WTF???

3rd try: New spark plugs, fresh oil change and new air filter, did a "Shogun re-set" (disconnect the DME for 10-15 seconds). Go back to the emissions place for a re-test and this time it passes fine.

The car runs great now, better than it ever has. Temp needle is straight up 12:00 o'clock, idles smooth, has more pull.

Thoughts:

I'm thinking that when it overheated and threw a 1223 DME temp sensor code, that it must have gone open-loop and caused it to fail emissions the 2nd time and clearing the DME fixed that. I took the temp sensor out and it was well within spec at both ends of the temperature range, about 320 ohms at 180F & Bentleys says 270-400 is where is should be.

1. For anyone with a newly acquired m50, check your water pump. The original factory impellers were plastic up until 95 or 96. Throw it away and put a metal one in. Get a cast aluminum thermostat housing while you're at it, to replace the plastic one that will fail one day.

2. Do a "Shogun reset" before getting an emissions test.

3. Keep a spare gas cap in the glove box when getting an emissions test.

Hector
06-29-2008, 01:50 PM
For the HC and CO categories, my car passed with pretty wide margins but barely passed in the NOX category.

Ross
06-30-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm in agreement with your thoughts on the retest.
If it makes you feel better consider that one of my cars flunked a gas cap test. I flipped the gasket over on the cap and had the "technician" retest it and it was satisfactory but the pinhead refused to pass the car as the "cap" hadn't been replaced. I nearly strangled the moron.

winfred
06-30-2008, 08:24 AM
should of said let me check the glove box for the "other cap" :D

I'm in agreement with your thoughts on the retest.
If it makes you feel better consider that one of my cars flunked a gas cap test. I flipped the gasket over on the cap and had the "technician" retest it and it was satisfactory but the pinhead refused to pass the car as the "cap" hadn't been replaced. I nearly strangled the moron.

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Whats a "gas cap test" and how do they test it?

dacoyote
06-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Whats a "gas cap test" and how do they test it?

They are testing to see if the gas cap holds pressure...

Mordan
06-30-2008, 04:03 PM
They are testing to see if the gas cap holds pressure...

Curious, how do test THAT? I never heard of this on the continent (europe)

oh yea! you remove the cap and use a special pressure-test device ?

Ross
06-30-2008, 05:48 PM
It is an evaporative emission test. If the seal for the cap is NG the evap. system is nonfunctional.

attack eagle
06-30-2008, 07:52 PM
around here if the cap is attached to the car and they don't want to move the test computer, they "test" the cap by reusing the test cap from the machine.

In 6 years I have only had a cap tested once on one car.

dacoyote
07-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Curious, how do test THAT? I never heard of this on the continent (europe)

oh yea! you remove the cap and use a special pressure-test device ?

It depends on the state... some states take it off and test it.. other states put a big vacuum hose around it...

shogun
07-01-2008, 08:30 AM
We only have the tailpipe emissions test in Japan.
Gas cap test is also new to me, never heard of that before.

Jehu
07-01-2008, 08:35 AM
In NH its stricktly Safety as far as I know...Brakes, tires etc.. no emissions are tested . I slapped on a new pair of front tires yesterday, had the rotors and pads looked at and am all clear to pass when I take it in..

Ross
07-01-2008, 08:56 AM
No safety inspections at all in Illinois, except trucks. There are hoards of dangerous piles of **** traveling city expressways everyday, ostensibly nonpolluting dangerous piles of ****.

yaofeng
07-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Gas cap tightness test has been part of the bi-annual inspection in New Jersey for at least five years, if not more. It is not a big deal as a replacement gas cap is cheap if it fails. The biggest hurdle for my aging fleet has been the high NOx emissions.