PDA

View Full Version : Cold Comfort

black_bird_blue
05-27-2004, 02:03 PM
O Learned Denizens,

I am currently suffering from an absence of cold in my E34. Yes, the air conditioning isn't playing. It's been this way since I bought it (I knew what I was buying) and I'm slowly pursuing the problem. I've replaced the secondary fan, which was absolutely seized, and can make it work by jumping the radiator temperature switch, so the switch and relays work just fine.

The next area I want to investigate is the compressor control relay.

Can anyone give me a clue where it is? I can see lots of relays and they all have cryptic numbers on them - but no idea what they do.

Thanks in advance,

Damian

Unregistered
05-27-2004, 02:12 PM
96 540iT? wow thats a rarity.. post some pics!

O Learned Denizens,

I am currently suffering from an absence of cold in my E34. Yes, the air conditioning isn't playing. It's been this way since I bought it (I knew what I was buying) and I'm slowly pursuing the problem. I've replaced the secondary fan, which was absolutely seized, and can make it work by jumping the radiator temperature switch, so the switch and relays work just fine.

Can anyone give me a clue where it is? I can see lots of relays and they all have cryptic numbers on them - but no idea what they do.

Thanks in advance,

Damian

AllanS
05-27-2004, 03:24 PM
96 models are just 95s

black_bird_blue
05-28-2004, 04:45 AM
OK, enough. In the USA model years are treated differently. In the UK we use years to refer to the age of the vehicle, not the design. And we take age from the date of registration and not the date of build. And for reference, there are many instances of design updates not being sold in the US market that are sold elsewhere in the world. I have a motorcycle that is one, so bombastic certainty is misplaced in any case.

It's one of a number of ways that thinking in the USA differs from the rest of the world. There is no right or wrong, but a little vision of the fact that the remaining 5.7 billion people in the world could just possibly have a different frame of reference would be really welcome.

None of this is remotely related to my question, I note with some disappointment.

Damian

AllanS
05-28-2004, 08:37 AM
With an attitude like that, I can see why. He was just joking; you don't have to bring up some tired stereotype of the isolationist American jerk to explain it.

Bill R.
05-28-2004, 09:06 AM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/compressorcontrol.jpg
O Learned Denizens,

Thanks in advance,

Damian

black_bird_blue
05-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Fabulous, thanks Bill.

Damian

shogun
05-29-2004, 09:59 AM
on the German E34 board. The index is in German language, all diagrams in English.
click here (http://www.e34.de/tips_tricks/schaltplaene/schaltplaene.htm)