PDA

View Full Version : Accelerator problem?

johngreenedc
06-25-2008, 12:19 PM
1992 525i, M50, Manual, 168,000m

Recently replaced: fuel pump, relay, filter (did myself); water pump (did myself); oil pan gasket, trans mount, exhaust hangers, upper thrust arm bushings; clutch, including flywheel; idler pulley (myself).

When I picked up the car after the oil pan gasket I heard a very odd noise from my engine, especially in between shifts. One mechanic told me the noise I was describing might be the thrust bearing (even though he was unable to hear the noise) and that my clutch was ready to go. After the clutch job (which was needed, it was the original clutch and the thrust bearing was dry and fried) I still had a noise. We isolated to the idler wheel which I replaced.

Now, the car is still noisy when I shift. I finally noticed the engine accelerates slightly when I shift. I put the clutch in and take my foot off of the gas, then the engine revs about 100 or so rpm and then slowly drops towards idle. The "noise" is engine noise not under load at a high rpm (2500 to 3500 or higher depending on my driving) before it drops.

I have no clue what to do next. Can the accelerator cable be the problem? or the chip (Dinan)? or what else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

BMWDriver
06-25-2008, 07:04 PM
I personnaly did have throttle problems on the account of the pedal being a bit rusty. Also had a look at the cables that were loose - i.e. missing some plastic parts to attach it.

WD40, no problem since.

Ross
06-26-2008, 07:16 PM
I would also look to the throttle cable being sticky, frayed or binding.
Having just done the oil pan I'd say there is a possibility of the engine mounts having been stressed during this job and the engine is rocking and causing throttle cable trouble.
As for the noise; I don't understand what it is.