PDA

View Full Version : Door Check Ripped Off

Washburn
06-25-2008, 11:33 AM
OK...my first "real" problem with my 95 525iT

The door check, the little lever that limits the doors opening, has ripped off entirely in the door jamb. The base that's usually bolted in place has actually torn the steel off around the mount, and now it's bouncing around inside the door. Here's the worse part: It pushed into my window track, so now my drivers side window only goes down 3" before it hits the deformed track.

Is there a "fix" for the ripped out door check hardware?
I looked in my manual, and cannot see how to remove the forward window track. Anyone ever done one? Is there new window tracks available?
Am I better off being in the market for a new door?

Thanks for any help!!!

BadAss95-530i
06-25-2008, 12:14 PM
brutal!

I have recently tackled a window track issue (went the 'make due' route over the proper fix) and a door stop problem and from the sounds of things you may wanna see if you can get a new door. Ive read window track rails costing over $90 (this was a while ago, it may be more....and i may be way wrong...) and the shredded metal from the door sounds like welding in addition to the door break reinforcement products (that is searchable on here somewhere) that are available will be needed.

Ive seen whole new doors on craigslist for as low as $50 and ebay for $150...so to me it sounds like a replacement may be easier and likely even cheaper than trying to fix. At least i would check around and see if a replacement is available before i invested in the repair anyways.

bubba966
06-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Might be able to salvage it with one of these

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DRPE32&cat=74

If not, you should get a pair of them. One for your door that's not ripped out the door brake, and one for your new door.

Actually everyone should slap a pair of those on their E34 to prevent the door brake from ripping through the sheet metal in the door.

The Stretch
06-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Same thing happened to me. the new front track from the stealer was only $20-ish. I also used the koala plate. It's an evening's worth of work if you've never had the door panel off, but very do-able. The track should be part 7 in this http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/u/u/1.png from what i remember, it just slides onto the felt/rubber track and then has one bolt to the door. I would definitely do this over a new door. Everything except the track removal is detailed very well in the Bentley, and you'll figure out the track once you get in there. It's all pretty easy.

Washburn
06-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks guys!! I think I will just replace the track, and leave the damn check alone.
I got in threre, but didn't try pulling the track. I can't see the screw head (Item #22 on the realoem picture) so I can't figure out what style driver it needs. I tried hex keys and torx heads of various sizes, but can't seem to find anything that fits. Kinda frustrating...guess I'll use a mirror. :)

Great info guys..thanks!!