PDA

View Full Version : Strange Hydraulic Leak Scenario....

EonPeon
06-24-2008, 07:34 PM
If I don't drive the car for a few days, my E34 530i leaks hydraulic fluid from the top of the reservoir/refill cylinder.

It happened one hot day over Christmas (I'm in Australia!), car was not driven, fluid backed up and leaked out the lid (where the screw knob holds it down). I thought the hot summer's day might have had something to do with it.

It's winter now, bloody freezing, and it's happening again (after not driving for two days).

Starting the car sucks the fluid straight back down again, but if left undriven for a few days, it backs up again and leaks out the top.

Any ideas???

shogun
06-25-2008, 12:32 AM
Do you have LAD self levelling at the rear shocks? If so, either the regulating valve is defect, or is not set at zero pount (there is a hole in the lever on the regulating lave and a hole in the hosuing, if they are in line = zero = both valves closed), or you jst have filled too much Pentosin to the reservoir. Max. is abt. 2.5 centimeters below upper rim of container or just that you cn see the fluid at the borrom of the strainer inside.

EonPeon
06-25-2008, 06:33 AM
Do you have LAD self levelling at the rear shocks? If so, either the regulating valve is defect, or is not set at zero pount (there is a hole in the lever on the regulating lave and a hole in the hosuing, if they are in line = zero = both valves closed), or you jst have filled too much Pentosin to the reservoir. Max. is abt. 2.5 centimeters below upper rim of container or just that you cn see the fluid at the borrom of the strainer inside.

Hi Shogun!

I'm pretty sure I just have standard shocks at the back.

The fluid was filled just to show through the wire mesh basket in the container - no higher.

When I open the container after not driving for a few days, it rises to the brim (and overflows). As soon as I start the car, it sinks back down again.

Any other ideas?

shogun
06-25-2008, 07:55 AM
What does the fluid container cover say? ATF or Pentosin?
Or if nothing mentioned, what is the color of the liquid?
In case you have a strainer inside, that looks like you have Pentosin inside

http://bmwfans.info/original/E34/Lim/530i-M60/ECE/L/M/1994/03/mg-32/