PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft orientation

J.DeFeo
06-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Can someone who's recently taken their driveshaft out (or who happens to know) tell me how the circled plates are supposed to be aligned? (I drew them in). In phase with each other? 180 degrees? If you have your driveshaft out and know it's balanced, if you could check I would give you many manbabies.

shogun
06-25-2008, 01:20 AM
There are factory marks how they were assembled and balanced, usually there is also red or yellow paint
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/driveshaftCenterbearing/Image51.jpg

J.DeFeo
06-25-2008, 12:20 PM
There are factory marks how they were assembled and balanced, usually there is also red or yellow paint
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/driveshaftCenterbearing/Image51.jpg

Wow, perfect. Thank you!!

J.DeFeo
06-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Wow, perfect. Thank you!!

Actually, not so perfect. My shaft doesn't have those markings. Any other ideas?

J.DeFeo
06-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Tell me if this makes sense:

There are two weights on the front halfshaft. There's one on the rear halfshaft. A weight indicates a heavy spot on the opposite side. Would it make sense to assemble the shaft in such a way that the heavy spots and weights are opposite each other? E.g., try to find the approximate center of the two weights on the front shaft then orient the rear shaft in such a way that the weight on the front shaft is aligned directly opposite that center point.

stilljester
06-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Tell me if this makes sense:

There are two weights on the front halfshaft. There's one on the rear halfshaft. A weight indicates a heavy spot on the opposite side. Would it make sense to assemble the shaft in such a way that the heavy spots and weights are opposite each other? E.g., try to find the approximate center of the two weights on the front shaft then orient the rear shaft in such a way that the weight on the front shaft is aligned directly opposite that center point.

If you have disassembled the driveshaft without marking it you have two choices:

Bring it to a drive shaft shop for a rebalance

OR

Start for instance in the orientation you've picked above; reassemble & install, drive the car noting the vibration. Then remove the driveshaft and change the orientation anywhere from 2 -10 deg depending on how bad it vibrated. Repeat until smooth..