PDA

View Full Version : Is my M60 dying?

dog man
06-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi guys

What apart from stem wear/bore wear could also cause smoke on start up but not just a puff...a thick concentrated burst for only a split second with no residual smoke as you drive off....??

I recently posted with problems galore which I have cured but one thing still happens which is the smoking on start up. But I think it is weird because of several things 1) BMW Cust Services told me that it had a steel liner block fitted in '97 2)It emits such a thick thick cloud of smoke on start up but only for a second...I've seen motors with worn rings or badly worn valve stems and this to me is just different.....I have none of the Nikasil symptoms(oil consump, rough idle, all fine) and it pulls like a motherbitch!

I'm quite okay with the notion that in actual fact mate, your engine is shot!!...I'd be surprised given how fast it is (and I have owned 3.8 M5's, 635csi's, Supra's and a '67 Coronet 440 amongst others!! I know what fast is!)

What do you guys think? Remember no smoke under load, good idle no oil consumption strong pulling power...

winfred
06-22-2008, 06:31 PM
the pcv plate is blown on the back of the intake, very common on any of the v8s and well documented on this site

dog man
06-22-2008, 06:51 PM
just replaced it...mentioned in my old post...so could it be faulty? Are you supposed to do anything to a new one before you fit it?

Tiger
06-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Do a leakdown test. There is no steel liner on these motors. You might have intake manifold leak.