PDA

View Full Version : Which are better: US ellipsoids or non-ellipsoids? Plz answer, thanks.

Kamil
05-27-2004, 11:05 AM
Hello,
My '91 535i did not come w/ the ellipsoids headlights.

However, I'm very dissatisfied w/ these headlights. I heard people say that the non-ellipsoids are actually better then the U.S. ellipsoids; is that true?

Now, I've found some U.S. ellipsoids for sale for $175 for a set, and I've seen the light bulb mod on bmwe34.net.... so, WHICH WILL GIVE BETTER LIGHTING?

Are the ellipsoids worth the $175?

Thanks,
-Kamil :)

Tiger
05-27-2004, 11:08 AM
The EURO ellipsoid are worth every penny... can be had for $170 complete for a Taiwan made... or double for German made.

Any original headlight with alot of tiny pittings are worthless... they ruin the light output by scattering it to local surrounding instead of where it should be... down the road.

Kamil
05-27-2004, 11:45 AM
I dont want to spend $170x2 on German ones.

So stay away from these US market ones? Will theybe better then my lights?

bahnstormer
05-27-2004, 11:54 AM
i have a 91 535i w/out ellipsoid
i have a 90 535i w/ ellipsoids
both cars are US spec.

i can't tell the difference from the driver seat
when u look at the front though, the ellipsoid
lights seem to be brighter/throw more light.

maybe i should take both cars to a dark field and test em out.

ps - i'm saving up for euro ellipsoid smilies

Unregistered
05-27-2004, 12:01 PM
My US ellipsoids on my 94 540i work great with the conversion on the bmwe34 site. Hard to believe that the non ellipsoids work better. No experience with the EURO ellips but from what everyone says, theyre the holy grail.. especially if one wants to do a true HID setup.

Theres also another bulb that can be purchaced somewhere that uses the infrared light given off (that cannot be seen) to apparently heat the filiment more efficiently to produce much more light. Check this thread - http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1312&highlight=bulbs

Jim
94 540i

Kamil
05-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Ok, thanks.
One final easy question:
Are the bulbs for U.S. ellipsoid and non-ellipsoid the same? 9005/9006?

I'll pass on the ellipsoids, and considering inversting into those HIR bulbs... will do more research first, thanks.

-Kamil

Unregistered
05-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Kamil, I believe that if you would like to put in the HIR bulbs that you *have* to have the ellipsoids, whether it be the US or EURO spec. I believe that if you try to put the HIRs or even just the similar less bright mod found on bmwe34.com behind non-ellipsoids that the light appears scattered and will produce a lot of glare for oncoming traffic. I say invest in the US ellipsoids and then invest in the HIR bulbs.

Jim

Ok, thanks.
One final easy question:
Are the bulbs for U.S. ellipsoid and non-ellipsoid the same? 9005/9006?

I'll pass on the ellipsoids, and considering inversting into those HIR bulbs... will do more research first, thanks.

-Kamil

Kamil
05-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Kamil, I believe that if you would like to put in the HIR bulbs that you *have* to have the ellipsoids, whether it be the US or EURO spec. I believe that if you try to put the HIRs or even just the similar less bright mod found on bmwe34.com behind non-ellipsoids that the light appears scattered and will produce a lot of glare for oncoming traffic. I say invest in the US ellipsoids and then invest in the HIR bulbs.

Jim

thanks Jim

Tiger
05-27-2004, 03:39 PM
Euro are far better than US spec... DOT really choked the quality light outputs to minimum because of their stupid law.

Euro headlights are 4x better than US spec.

Jon M.
05-27-2004, 09:17 PM
I have a '92, which came stock with non-ellipsoids (which I have subsequently upgraded to 4 euro-spec ellipsoids)

My only complaint on the euro ellipsoids is the stock H1-55Watt bulb for the highbeams. 100-watt bulbs are available, but I was nervous about going overwattage without upgrading my wiring.

My old non-ellipsoid US-spec highbeams, with the 9005 (65 watt) bulb lit up the night like a set of klieg lights, the euro-specs with the standard 55 watt bulbs didn't.

now I bought a set of Osram silverstar H1's (these are different from the Sylvania bulbs sold in the US) from Daniel Stern Lighting and I now light up the night again.

If you were trying to save money though, you could just get the euro low beams (they fit into the same buckets). You'd be running two different types of bulbs, but there are worse things in life, and the main weakness on the stock US-spec lights is the low beam, not the high beam, in my opinion.

winfred
05-27-2004, 09:38 PM
i like the us elipsoids better then the non elipsoids, i did the 9005/9006 mod on the 535 and it's good enough that i don't want to spend the $$$ on euro lights, the us elipsoids have a good cutoff compared to other modern lights i've driven behind. i have hella h1 and h4s on the 325ism and love em, the 100 watt high beam bulbs i installed kick ass too
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/325%20535%20lights

bimmerd00d
05-28-2004, 11:39 AM
i have US Ellipsoids, and apparently it's a better cutoff pattern for an HID upgrade. before i had the HID's in, i had a set of modified 9005 Silverstars in the low beams, and the lighting was decent, but nowhere as good as the HID's in there now. I have the 4300k philips bulb with bosch ballasts with a 9006 bulb base. The light output is amazing.

Unregistered
05-28-2004, 12:34 PM
The HIR bulbs sold by Daniel Stern are well worth the money and provide 1700 lumens output for the low beam versus stock 1000 lumens (HID lamps are 2800 to 3200 lumens). You do not need to have eliposoid lamps to use these as the filimant is properly placed for replacement of the 9006 bulb. I use them in my Landcruiser in addition to the BMW and have no glare problems.

Cary

Jon K
05-28-2004, 01:15 PM
A lot of people are fine with non-projector or US projector headlights, but having gone to the euros... i wouldn't have spent the money on anything else! The cut off is perfect and my bulbs I have in there are really HID-convincing. I will be going HID soon enough, but the euros, in addition to being extremely pimp, are worth it!

stock sylvania H1 bulbs:

http://www.orbitalinternet.net/euro/euro5.jpg

SPP 5300k bulbs:

http://orbitalinternet.net/euro/5300/1.jpg

happifella
06-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Jon,

Did you have to upgrade the wiring to run the 100w bulbs? I was thinking of getting the same 100w bulbs to use in my new set of Depo Euro Ellipsoids.

Thanks
Jeff

I have a '92, which came stock with non-ellipsoids (which I have subsequently upgraded to 4 euro-spec ellipsoids)

My only complaint on the euro ellipsoids is the stock H1-55Watt bulb for the highbeams. 100-watt bulbs are available, but I was nervous about going overwattage without upgrading my wiring.

My old non-ellipsoid US-spec highbeams, with the 9005 (65 watt) bulb lit up the night like a set of klieg lights, the euro-specs with the standard 55 watt bulbs didn't.

now I bought a set of Osram silverstar H1's (these are different from the Sylvania bulbs sold in the US) from Daniel Stern Lighting and I now light up the night again.

If you were trying to save money though, you could just get the euro low beams (they fit into the same buckets). You'd be running two different types of bulbs, but there are worse things in life, and the main weakness on the stock US-spec lights is the low beam, not the high beam, in my opinion.