PDA

View Full Version : stiff gas peddle

h2oyo
06-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Hello,
My 95 540i seems to have a stiff gas peddle. It seems like it hard to push it when you just start to depress the peddle. It makes it difficult to shift smoothly. I looked it over the last weekend but didnt see anything that would be causing such an issue. Has anyone ever had this problem if so what did you do to fix it.
Thanks in advance,
Johan

Ferret
06-21-2008, 03:19 AM
Yes I had this problem on my 540, it started getting stiff then a week later snapped in heavy traffic.

Unhook it from the throttle lever end, then unhook it from the pedal and try pulling it in and out by hand, see if it's the cable itself that's stiff or the pedal. If it's the cable get a new one pronto or it'll let you down!

pingu
06-21-2008, 05:25 AM
I had this on mine at about 120,000 miles. Had the Indy replace the throttle cable and the driveability of the car was transformed - best £70 I've ever spent on a car.

h2oyo
06-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Yes I had this problem on my 540, it started getting stiff then a week later snapped in heavy traffic.

Unhook it from the throttle lever end, then unhook it from the pedal and try pulling it in and out by hand, see if it's the cable itself that's stiff or the pedal. If it's the cable get a new one pronto or it'll let you down!

Thank, I'll get ordered ASAP. How difficult is it to change? Is this something that can be done in a few hours or do I need to take a part the dash lol.
Thanks again,
Johan

pgrindstaff
06-21-2008, 03:04 PM
i had a writeup on my web server but have since taken it down. I still have the pages if you would like to take a look at it.

h2oyo
06-21-2008, 07:34 PM
i had a writeup on my web server but have since taken it down. I still have the pages if you would like to take a look at it.

Yes please that would be a great help.
Thanks
Johan

pgrindstaff
06-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Here are the html files. Eventually I'll have them hosted again but need a new server first.