PDA

View Full Version : Performance Chip = better gas mileage?

elbasha
06-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Hey there,
I have heard some people saying that when you have a performance chip on a sedan it will save you on gas because of the extra tork you will have that won't make the engine need as much pressure to move the car from idle to driving. Any ideas?

bubba966
06-20-2008, 03:34 PM
I got a good 3mpg increase on freeway mileage after I installed a Dinan chip on my M-Sport. City mileage is about 1.5 mpg or so better.

I've talked to other people that have also had mpg increases after a chip install. Not sure if it's the added torque. Or the tune for a specific octane. Something else entirely. Or a combination of reasons.

A friend of mine has a '95 525iT. And it could certainly use a torque boost to help with getting going easier. In fact she gets sightly worse mileage than I do in my M-Sport. It kinda annoys her as my engine is a good bit bigger and a lot more powerful. Told her the size of the engine doesn't always equate to gas mileage. Gotta have enough torque to get the car moving efficiently. And the M50B25 in an E34 just doesn't have the torque to do it well enough. Have heard that the 525 does better on gas after chipping. Haven't tried it yet...

Sam-Son
06-20-2008, 04:21 PM
ive noticed a def increase in fuel economy with the chip

Russell
06-20-2008, 07:25 PM
I "believe" I get slightly better mileage with my chip which I have had for about 3 years. I run mostly Chevron 93 octane. However, I have over 100,000 miles on my o2 sensor so I suspect is is dragging it down a bit.

At 70 MPH I get 27-28 mpg, at 55 to 60 mph or so, 30-31 mpg. Hard to tell in town as I usually get 15 or so in stop and go traffic. Better if taffic is moving well. I generally average 23-24 overall.

shogun
06-20-2008, 07:37 PM
It all depends on the chip layout. Nowadays more economy / less fuel consumption is the top priority, some time ago it was higher RPM limit, more HP, more Nm and so on.

I would never buy a chip which promises xxx more HP at RPM's which I seldom use in daily driving routine.

In the end you can also save fuel by throwing out all the unneccesary stuff from the trunk, have the tire pressure always correct and drive not like Ronny Ramjet in his best days from signal light to signal light. Use the engine brake instead of brake, and so on.

elbasha
06-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Well I am still thinking of buying the one listed in the main website here for $250. I mean I am not buying it to save on gas, but at the same time I don't want to buy it and actually drop down on the MPG I already have (17 MPG in town mostly). What do you think? is it worth the buy? I mean if I buy it I do want to feel the difference, that's the main reason I want it.

ScottyWM
06-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I've had my EAT chip for years now. When I first got it my mileage improved by about 1-2 mpg city. Just make sure you don't offset the mpg gain by sticking your foot in it more often because you will 'feel' an increase in performance (although our wagons are still dogs....). And it does seem to need premium grade, knocks pretty bad when I've tried regular. But you say your only getting 17mpg now? Sounds like you might have other problems. I get 23 city, 28-30 highway. You have the stock M50tu?

elbasha
06-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Well I usually speed up at the beginning every time I stop on a traffic light, it is just a habit and that is why I asked a question before about the chip to see if it makes a difference there, I don't really speed at any other time except once in a while when I go in the high way

93AlpineII
06-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey there,
I have heard some people saying that when you have a performance chip on a sedan it will save you on gas because of the extra tork you will have that won't make the engine need as much pressure to move the car from idle to driving. Any ideas?

An Autothority chip (usually used for Porsche?) was in my M5 upon purchase--and had been for years. Behaves very consistently with over 10K miles of my own now (91K total). I don't have anything to compare it to, but I average 18.4 mpg with a mix of highway / city, and 22.5 on highway. Those numbers, in my opinion, are great for a 16 yr old high compression 6 weighing in at 3800 lbs...

Also, I test drove a Dinan e34 M5 before purchasing mine, which seemed to have noticeably less torque. Of course, that's simply two random cars and not knowing the true history and no dyno test, not a valid comparison. I can say that the Autothority is reliable and strong in my car.

///Sniper535
06-21-2008, 02:18 AM
I thought you have to bump up to at least 91 octane with any chip?

repenttokyo
06-21-2008, 09:03 AM
I thought you have to bump up to at least 91 octane with any chip?

with the EAT chip, yes you do.

elbasha
06-21-2008, 09:55 AM
I only use 93 for my bmw. It is automatic if that makes a difference, which chip do you recommend buying? I always wanted to get the one for $250 on the e34 website but I can't find that link anymore.

repenttokyo
06-21-2008, 10:50 AM
I only use 93 for my bmw. It is automatic if that makes a difference, which chip do you recommend buying? I always wanted to get the one for $250 on the e34 website but I can't find that link anymore.

The EAT chip I bought gave me a noticeable difference in driveability, and I like it a lot. However, it was difficult to get it shipped to me, as I guess the EAT guys are really busy. It just took longer than I thought it would.

93AlpineII
06-21-2008, 11:35 AM
The EAT chip I bought gave me a noticeable difference in driveability, and I like it a lot. However, it was difficult to get it shipped to me, as I guess the EAT guys are really busy. It just took longer than I thought it would.

I think almost any performance chip requires high octane. Could be wrong...

repenttokyo
06-21-2008, 11:47 AM
I think almost any performance chip requires high octane. Could be wrong...

yes, bc of the timing changes.

elbasha
06-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Where can I buy the EAT chip from? and any instructions come with it?

Qube
06-21-2008, 12:15 PM
1. Yes. Better mileage
2. Need to use higher octane. Makes #1 moot? Maybe.
3. Much more fun to drive. Makes #1 moot? Yep. Vrooom!

ThoreauHD
06-21-2008, 12:31 PM
You can get the EAT chip or the Jim Conforti chip.

http://www.dsylva-tech.ca/

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/subcategory_detail.asp?modelcode=E34&subcat_id=74

I have the turner motorsports/conforti chip. It's also given about 3 mpg on average. D'Sylva didn't have a chip for mine at the time, but I am quite happy with the Conforti timed chip.

elbasha
06-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Just ordered the E34 525i 1989-95 Turner Motorsport Conforti Performance Chip from

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...4&subcat_id=74

The instructions will be included with the chip right?

///Sniper535
06-21-2008, 09:47 PM
You can get the EAT chip or the Jim Conforti chip.

http://www.dsylva-tech.ca/

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/subcategory_detail.asp?modelcode=E34&subcat_id=74

I have the turner motorsports/conforti chip. It's also given about 3 mpg on average. D'Sylva didn't have a chip for mine at the time, but I am quite happy with the Conforti timed chip.

Which is the better chip for power?

repenttokyo
06-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Which is the better chip for power?

from what i understand, it's identical.

AngryPopTart
06-22-2008, 02:47 AM
I've had my EAT chip for years now. When I first got it my mileage improved by about 1-2 mpg city. Just make sure you don't offset the mpg gain by sticking your foot in it more often because you will 'feel' an increase in performance (although our wagons are still dogs....). And it does seem to need premium grade, knocks pretty bad when I've tried regular. But you say your only getting 17mpg now? Sounds like you might have other problems. I get 23 city, 28-30 highway. You have the stock M50tu?

Any improvement would be great in my opinion. I have an '89 525i and I am only getting about 17mpg right now, even though I'm trying to baby it or take the freeway more. I probably need to replace the sensors in my car.* I'm not getting any knocking even at WOT on regular and it's been about 104-107 degrees the last couple days... but then I have 8.8:1! What do you have?

*I've disconnected the sensor that runs into the exhaust in the past and I don't think it changed the way the car ran nor the mileage. But that may have been before I had to replace the engine so I'll try disconnecting it and see if my mileage changes. If not, does it sound like a bad sensor?

ThoreauHD
06-23-2008, 05:44 PM
They have instructions with pictures with the Turner chip. It's the least they can do for charging 200 for a eprom. The hardest part of installing the chip is jerking the living **** outta the metal clamps on your ECU. Get a big pair of pliers and just pull like hell. It scared the heck outta me the first time. I thought I broke something. But it's normal.

As far as whether conforti or d'sylva is better, I don't know. I can't compare them, but from what the EATS guys have said, I get the same results. I put a dinan transmission chip in also, but that didn't help with much of nothin as far as I can tell. Maybe higher revs in lower gears.

Keep in mind that after you put in the chip, and put in 91 or better octane, that you'll have to train it a bit. Drive it around a little so it will get used to your driving style. After that, it'll be smooth. Immediately though, you will notice an increase in power and later, an increase in mpg. Let us know if you have any questions. It's just like putting an eprom on your computer gadgets at home.

ThoreauHD
06-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Any improvement would be great in my opinion. I have an '89 525i and I am only getting about 17mpg right now, even though I'm trying to baby it or take the freeway more. I probably need to replace the sensors in my car.* I'm not getting any knocking even at WOT on regular and it's been about 104-107 degrees the last couple days... but then I have 8.8:1! What do you have?

*I've disconnected the sensor that runs into the exhaust in the past and I don't think it changed the way the car ran nor the mileage. But that may have been before I had to replace the engine so I'll try disconnecting it and see if my mileage changes. If not, does it sound like a bad sensor?

I'm not sure what sensor you are talking about, but if that was the O2 sensor, then removing a bad one wouldn't change anything. Putting in a working one would be night and day though for gas mileage. You really really need your O2 sensor on these cars. I have 2, and when they get pissed I lose 7 mpg easy, and bust out a ton of crap exhaust.

AngryPopTart
06-24-2008, 01:24 AM
I'm not sure what sensor you are talking about, but if that was the O2 sensor, then removing a bad one wouldn't change anything. Putting in a working one would be night and day though for gas mileage. You really really need your O2 sensor on these cars. I have 2, and when they get pissed I lose 7 mpg easy, and bust out a ton of crap exhaust.

The one that plugs in where the exhaust pipes meet after the manifolds. I still passed my smog test with ease, though. I wonder if I have a bad temperature sensor... my gauge always reads close to the red, which I'm aware is not correct. If the sensors in these babies weren't so expensive!!! Grrr!

Ross
06-25-2008, 09:20 AM
ROGER Ramjet, thanks for the blast from the past
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rovdLR94-L8

AngryPopTart
06-26-2008, 01:13 AM
The one that plugs in where the exhaust pipes meet after the manifolds.

I disconnected this sensor today and there is no change; still 17mpg! Think it's bad?