PDA

View Full Version : Drivehsaft center spline 535i

J.DeFeo
06-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Is there a way to find out the factory orientation? Other than taking it apart, putting it back together, reinstalling the shaft, and driving it?

Rus
06-20-2008, 03:16 PM
If memory serves me right, the middle joint is assembled so that the two u-joints are phased at 90 degrees with each other. This gives you two possible assembly positions. Beyond that, you can't really tell which way the factory assembled them. Get it wrong and the shaft will be out of balance. 50/50 chance. HTH

J.DeFeo
06-20-2008, 03:38 PM
If memory serves me right, the middle joint is assembled so that the two u-joints are phased at 90 degrees with each other. This gives you two possible assembly positions. Beyond that, you can't really tell which way the factory assembled them. Get it wrong and the shaft will be out of balance. 50/50 chance. HTH

That's not too bad then. Worst case scenario, you'd only have to remove/replace the exhaust and drive shaft twice to find the balance point.

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-22-2008, 03:13 AM
There is another way to save having to remove everything. Get two Jubillee clips of the appropriate size and fit them to the shaft near to the centre joint. Refit assembly having marked the shaft where the clips are. Drive car a bit and if vibration exists,loosen and rotate clips ,repeat.The reason for two clips is weight.I have seen shafts with 15g on them but some or most will be less. when you get to the point of balance, either tack the clips on the banding or spray them to be able to check they have`nt moved.The reason for putting them near the centre joint is that they will have more effect due to rubber joint.BMW shafts are pretty well balanced and made compared to some so move a little bit each time,saves a lot of trouble.

J.DeFeo
06-23-2008, 06:13 PM
There is another way to save having to remove everything. Get two Jubillee clips of the appropriate size and fit them to the shaft near to the centre joint. Refit assembly having marked the shaft where the clips are. Drive car a bit and if vibration exists,loosen and rotate clips ,repeat.The reason for two clips is weight.I have seen shafts with 15g on them but some or most will be less. when you get to the point of balance, either tack the clips on the banding or spray them to be able to check they have`nt moved.The reason for putting them near the centre joint is that they will have more effect due to rubber joint.BMW shafts are pretty well balanced and made compared to some so move a little bit each time,saves a lot of trouble.

Do you move both clips at the same time? How much do you move it by each time? Thanks, this is a great idea.