PDA

View Full Version : Upper control arm rubbing, can they be adjusted?

leicesterboy15
06-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi All

I was under the car the other day and noticed a shinny bit on the left upper control arm and when I turn full lock to the left i get a rubbing noise. I don't understand how this can happen because as far as I know the control arms are not adjustable in any way. The arms + bushes were replaced around 8 months ago and the car drives fine at all other times, before the arms were replaced I'm sure I had the same wheels on and there was no rubbing. The right side is fine and on full lock to the right there is no rubbing. Any ideas? Is this a sign of cheap arms / bushes?

e34.535i.sport
06-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi All

I was under the car the other day and noticed a shinny bit on the left upper control arm and when I turn full lock to the left i get a rubbing noise. I don't understand how this can happen because as far as I know the control arms are not adjustable in any way. The arms + bushes were replaced around 8 months ago and the car drives fine at all other times, before the arms were replaced I'm sure I had the same wheels on and there was no rubbing. The right side is fine and on full lock to the right there is no rubbing. Any ideas? Is this a sign of cheap arms / bushes?

Hey friend long time no speak... :) Is the tracking out by any chance? How are the tie rods doing?

leicesterboy15
06-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi mate, work and home have been hectic so I haven't been able to log on for a while! I replaced the tie rods at the same time as the arms and I got the tracking done 3 times! First time the laser machine crashed the computer and the 2nd time I wasn't convinced by it so I got it done again. Do you think I should try it again? How are you getting on with your front end (so to speak)?

e34.535i.sport
06-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi mate, work and home have been hectic so I haven't been able to log on for a while! I replaced the tie rods at the same time as the arms and I got the tracking done 3 times! First time the laser machine crashed the computer and the 2nd time I wasn't convinced by it so I got it done again. Do you think I should try it again? How are you getting on with your front end (so to speak)?

Really well thanks! Just done an update on the thread check out the pics! Got one side done but will prob take step by step pics for the other side and post a 'how-to' thread on shock replacement... Also got new upper arms with 750 bushes and new lower aluminium arms in too - can't wait to get it all done and test drive it!

That tracking must be costing you a fortune! I can't think of any other reason for the rubbing, but hopefully someone a little wiser will chime in! How are the balljoints doing for the upper/lower arms? Is there any play on the wheel if you try to move it by hand when it's jacked up?

Tiger
06-19-2008, 11:31 PM
I would say one of your steering component got bent.