PDA

View Full Version : Tinkling noise of doom

Ferret
06-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Okay so this is starting to royally **** me off now...

I'm getting a tinkling noise from all around the car once I get over about 15 mph...

It doesnt change with application of power, but vanishes on the application of brakes.

Dipping the clutch doesnt make it change, and once I've powered through about the 40mph mark the noise disappears.

I know the propshaft guibo is on its way out as I ocassionally get a ricochet effect while dipping the clutch in reverse, you can hear the propshaft unload with a *twang* that shakes the car.

I'm just hoping it's not the propshaft centre bearing as I really havent got the time or space at the moment to drop the whole exhaust off, and being about to move house dont want to have to pay out for it at an indy. (That said, I *will* pay for it if it needs doing.)

This weekend I'm going to pull the wheels and brake pads and apply copper grease to the lot up, just to make sure it's not the pads rattling, I'll spin all the wheels over as well to eliminate whether it's the wheel bearings.

Though... now I think about it, applying the hand/e-brake while in motion will tell me which set of wheels the brakes are stopping the tinkling noise on!

Anyone experienced this before...?

whiskychaser
06-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Okay so this is starting to royally **** me off now...

I'm getting a tinkling noise from all around the car once I get over about 15 mph...

It doesnt change with application of power, but vanishes on the application of brakes.

Dipping the clutch doesnt make it change, and once I've powered through about the 40mph mark the noise disappears.

I know the propshaft guibo is on its way out as I ocassionally get a ricochet effect while dipping the clutch in reverse, you can hear the propshaft unload with a *twang* that shakes the car.

I'm just hoping it's not the propshaft centre bearing as I really havent got the time or space at the moment to drop the whole exhaust off, and being about to move house dont want to have to pay out for it at an indy. (That said, I *will* pay for it if it needs doing.)

This weekend I'm going to pull the wheels and brake pads and apply copper grease to the lot up, just to make sure it's not the pads rattling, I'll spin all the wheels over as well to eliminate whether it's the wheel bearings.

Though... now I think about it, applying the hand/e-brake while in motion will tell me which set of wheels the brakes are stopping the tinkling noise on!

Anyone experienced this before...?
Dont know if the cat on yours has an intergral heat shield. Some do and the welds give resulting in an irritating noise as it vibrates. (Apart from 'pinking' which you dont get any more, its the only sound I can think of that sounds like 'tinkling'.) They normally play up when you accelerate gently

Ferret
06-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Dont know if the cat on yours has an intergral heat shield. Some do and the welds give resulting in an irritating noise as it vibrates. (Apart from 'pinking' which you dont get any more, its the only sound I can think of that sounds like 'tinkling'.) They normally play up when you accelerate gently

Yeah, I'm starting to get really confused with the whole thing now, I tried the handbrake test on the way home, and applying the handbrake while in motion doesnt cause the noise to disappear.

Going to put it on axel stands tmr morning and get it spinning while on them, see if I can diagnose where the hell it's coming from.

I dont think it's the prop bearing realistically, the only thing i can think that it would be is a loose exhaust hanger that I forgot to do up last time I put the exhaust back on...

Will pull all the brake discs while it's in the air, see if I've got a trapped stone or something going on. I'd expect the centre bearing to start going with a whine rather than a tinkle noise - unless the bearing carriers worked itself loose and isnt preloading the bearing any more.

whiskychaser
06-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Noises are a hell of a job to isolate - get four people in the car and they will all say its coming from somewhere else! One thing I have tried with some success is to get 'er indoors' (if you trust her) to drive it by while you stand at the side of the street and listen. Recently had a mate who was determined to have it out with Kwikfit cos the front discs/pads they put on were squealing. Till I had a listen and could easily tell it was the nearside rear screaming its head off:D

Ferret
06-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Hah, yeah that's a thought...

If it's something to do with the drivetrain though, getting the rear wheels in the air and sticking in 6th should make it come back!

Hypr5
06-20-2008, 02:33 PM
This happened to me in my e34s. It was my brake pads in the rear. The clip that holds it tight to the caliper piston didn't hold tight anymore. Hope its something as simple for you.

bmwrp8
06-20-2008, 03:25 PM
This happened to me in my e34s. It was my brake pads in the rear. The clip that holds it tight to the caliper piston didn't hold tight anymore. Hope its something as simple for you.

same here in my e36 325i check the clip

winfred
06-20-2008, 07:18 PM
sometimes it's the clip that gets loose sometimes it's crappy aftermarket pads that aren't cut quite big enough to fill the space given

whiskychaser
06-21-2008, 03:14 AM
If it's something to do with the drivetrain though, getting the rear wheels in the air and sticking in 6th should make it come back!
I'd be a bit concerned running it through the gears with the back wheels hanging down-doesnt it put strain on the drive shaft CVs?

Ferret
06-21-2008, 03:16 AM
I'd be a bit concerned running it through the gears with the back wheels hanging down-doesnt it put strain on the drive shaft CVs?

If they're ball type CV joints, it shouldnt really harm it to run at an odd angle for 30 - 60 seconds or so... I think!

It's effing raining! I'm not letting that put me off though.

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-21-2008, 03:42 AM
If they're ball type CV joints, it shouldnt really harm it to run at an odd angle for 30 - 60 seconds or so... I think!

It's effing raining! I'm not letting that put me off though.
Best bet is the heat shield underneath mate,if the habdbrake did not alter it then thats out. Been giving it large on a rough track and bent the brake shields, or are they like mine and mostly rusted away??!! Who`s at Chateau D`eau with a smile and a large bottle??!!

Ferret
06-21-2008, 05:28 AM
Best bet is the heat shield underneath mate,if the habdbrake did not alter it then thats out. Been giving it large on a rough track and bent the brake shields, or are they like mine and mostly rusted away??!! Who`s at Chateau D`eau with a smile and a large bottle??!!

:D

I did have the brakes smoking a while back... on textar pads no less - scared the crap outta myself doing that! Warped much?

Just about to strip the thing down anyway and have a look, will bend the brake heat shields back while I'm at it!

One of these days it'll be in a nurburg fit state and I'll get the chance to get across there! Job front is looking a bit dodgy at the moment though, need to sort that out before splashing out on a ring trip!

90 days redundancy notice for the total fail!

dmenheere
06-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Loose centre caps, crap in the wheel somewhere.

Use to live on gravel roads and get little stones caught in the hub caps.

Probably not your problem but easy to check.

cheers,

Dave Menheere

Ferret
06-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Okay so it's not the rear brakes, had them in pieces and replaced the pads as they were low enough to warrant throwing a new set on anyway.

Not had enough time to get it in the air after the drama with the other car this weekend, I've now got self-invited house 'guests' while they wait to get a pump on monday.