PDA

View Full Version : OBC keeps on resetting when I start the car

BigKriss
06-17-2008, 08:34 PM
anything I should look at in particular??. I don't think it's a fuse because everything still works. I drive the car sometimes, and the radio, OBC and sunroof switch all switch off for about 30 seconds and start working again.

I will have a look today though

cheers!

Jr ///M5
06-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Check the fuseable link Kriss, it's probably cracked and causing intermittant power interuptions.

BigKriss
06-17-2008, 09:14 PM
okay if the fusable link is inside a yellow rubber connector then that fine, i checked the other fuses under the rear seat and all of them are fine also. So i'll have to get back to you.

Check the fuseable link Kriss, it's probably cracked and causing intermittant power interuptions.

525i winter driver
06-17-2008, 10:28 PM
my obc kept resetting when my battery was dying

BigKriss
06-17-2008, 10:30 PM
battery is about 6 months old.

my obc kept resetting when my battery was dying

shogun
06-19-2008, 12:13 AM
battery is about 6 months old.

That does not mean 100% it is o.k., better test it under load. Testing a battery with a multimeter is not that good. Must be tested under load.

For example, if you do not have a load tester: switch on interior light and headlights, then start engine, if the interior light goes down a little bit, battery is still o.k, but if interior light goes off completely, battery is dead, maybe a cell. Not very high tech test, but helps in the middle of nowhere.

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-19-2008, 01:15 AM
anything I should look at in particular??. I don't think it's a fuse because everything still works. I drive the car sometimes, and the radio, OBC and sunroof switch all switch off for about 30 seconds and start working again.

I will have a look today though

cheers!
Thought there was a baby internal battery to keep data??
The ONLY way to test/check a battery is with a drop tester to assimilate a load,easy and dead certain.

shogun
06-19-2008, 01:19 AM
E34 and E32 do not have batteries like the older E28.
But they have the capacitors inside the cluster, total 5 of them, which also get weak over the years. Reset of cluster and behaviour like haunted of the cluster with old caps is 'normal'. Especially in winter time when it is colder.
And Kris has winter now in OZ-land

BigKriss
06-19-2008, 02:05 AM
it seems to be okay now. i took the fuse out the fuesable link and put it back - the fuse was okay - and it seems the obc now doesn't reset

nirvana19
06-20-2008, 10:00 AM
E34 and E32 do not have batteries like the older E28.
But they have the capacitors inside the cluster, total 5 of them, which also get weak over the years. Reset of cluster and behaviour like haunted of the cluster with old caps is 'normal'. Especially in winter time when it is colder.
And Kris has winter now in OZ-land

That explains it the random trip computer resets which occur occasionally...

BigKriss
06-20-2008, 12:24 PM
the obc is working fine now, no resets

dacoyote
06-20-2008, 12:48 PM
the obc is working fine now, no resets

That's because you have somehow made the e34 happy.... I suggest regular chicken blood :-)