PDA

View Full Version : oil in coolant

dwaynos
06-12-2008, 04:44 PM
hi, i took off my radiator cap today and took a look inside only to find really brown looking liquid. when i smell it i smells a little oil but i am not sure. there is no coolant in oil and my car is not overheating, what could be wrong?

thanks

bimmo_2007
06-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Emmmmmm, if it was'nt oil then it must be rust. does it feel oily?? try to examine with tissue or something. also check the oil level. if there is an oil loss then it is blown head gasket.

dwaynos
06-12-2008, 05:20 PM
hi, i am loseing a tiny bit off oil but i am putting it down to week sump and rocker cover gaskets. there is no oil at the location of the headgasket so i am hopeing it is ok.

Dave M
06-12-2008, 06:12 PM
hi, i am loseing a tiny bit off oil but i am putting it down to week sump and rocker cover gaskets. there is no oil at the location of the headgasket so i am hopeing it is ok.

If its in your coolant, it won't be dripping down the side of your engine ;)

It gets into your coolant by breaching the headgasket between the head and block. You won’t necessarily see anything. At this point, you're best to find out whats in your coolant. Also, don't assume you need a noticeable loss in oil level to have a leaky gasket, you could have a bit of coolant going the other way and compensating.

Don't want to worry you, but I'd be asking someone to analyze my coolant/oil.

Good luck with it,

Dave