PDA

View Full Version : I ordered the Korman offset adjustable cam gear.

Martin in Bellevue
05-26-2004, 04:19 PM
We'll see if dialing the cam on an internally stock m30 helps. It is machined for 1,3,5,& 7 degrees of offset. Will there be a noticeable difference with 1 degree of advance?

As an aside, I had the car buffed out yesterday. It is spectacular. There was a little tree sap incident before the trip to Hawaii. It has been on my mind & now it is good.

mholbrook
05-26-2004, 04:34 PM
What did the sales people say at Korman? I have pretty much the same options/mods as you list and would be interested in what this does. I'm also considering the MAF and boring out the throttle body.

Keep us posted.

Craig
05-26-2004, 04:37 PM
Won't it pretty much just move your powerband around?

Robin-535im
05-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Can you do it with the head on or do you have to pull some head bolts to get the cam shaft off?

Martin in Bellevue
05-26-2004, 04:54 PM
He then went into how all the performance stuff that sells, was for the 3's. We discussed the ceramic coated exhaust headers they had. Korman didn't have any in stock & I didn't have a spare set to send. He then mentioned the earlier m30's would benefit from their gasket matching port job. He said the b35m30 manifolds were pretty good stock. They had no headers available for our cars.

The maf is good. Look into it, especially if there is a local dyno available for setting it up.

What did the sales people say at Korman? I have pretty much the same options/mods as you list and would be interested in what this does. I'm also considering the MAF and boring out the throttle body.

Keep us posted.

Martin in Bellevue
05-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Your bee motor may already have the cam advanced. Derek bought it as a complete motor, I believe.

Can you do it with the head on or do you have to pull some head bolts to get the cam shaft off?

Jeff N.
05-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Yup. We have hearsay reports that the stock M30 likes 2 degrees of advance. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

Advancing the cam in theory trades some top end for low end.

Won't it pretty much just move your powerband around?

Jeff N.
05-26-2004, 05:56 PM
I don't think Derek modded the cam timing, I sent him a note asking him. How's the midrange vs. the topend Robin? If you want more midrange punch, it might be worth trying. Of course, with that 3.91 rear end, your gears may pretty much compensate for any soft midrange.

Robin-535im
05-26-2004, 06:50 PM
the power band is smoother. Now is it higher where it used to be low or lower where it used to be high? My kester isn't sensitive enough to tell.

It definitely still feels fatter in the mid range than stock, and I'd be interested in pushing the power band up by 1000 - 1500 RPM if possible so that the pull lasts higher into the gear.

How much do one of these adjustable cams cost?

I don't think Derek modded the cam timing, I sent him a note asking him. How's the midrange vs. the topend Robin? If you want more midrange punch, it might be worth trying. Of course, with that 3.91 rear end, your gears may pretty much compensate for any soft midrange.

mholbrook
05-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Wouldn't advancing the cam by x degrees (1, 3, 5 etc) push the power band up therefore giving less torque at the bottom end? Conversely retarding the cam would give more torque sacrificing top end power?

This is the first I've heard that the M30 liked a couple degrees more advance. I know the Mopars liked that small advance and it is provided by a different crank key.

I have my car really running great right now but I'd really like more torque down low. I don't mind shifting at 6500 or even less. It will pull to almost 7000rpm indicated before I back out. It has a TMS chip.

This is interesting.

Jeff N.
05-27-2004, 01:34 AM
Advancing the cam lowers the torque band. You get the greatest effect on long duration cams that have overlap, smaller effect on cams that have less overlap and/or less duration.

Advancing the cam closes the intake valve sooner after the piston crosses TDC. This effectively raises lower RPM compression at the expense of exhaust scavaging assisting in pulling in the charge at higher speeds. More low end torque, less high RPM power.

Retarding the cam is less common but does just the opposite.

(gee...see what a little book learning will do for ya!)

Jeff N.
05-27-2004, 01:37 AM
2 hours give or take a bit. Sort of a PITA.

BTW, Derek says your cam is in the stock setting. I think it's milder than the one I have from MM.

Your bee motor may already have the cam advanced. Derek bought it as a complete motor, I believe.

mholbrook
05-27-2004, 10:29 AM
What is the price of the Korman Adjustable Cam gear?

Sounds like something I would be interested in trying out.

Martin in Bellevue
05-27-2004, 10:36 AM
We'll see if there's any actual benefit. It should be good if the head is ever cut, changing the timing chain dimension.
For now, this is more an effort to get Jeffro's cam timing happy.