PDA

View Full Version : New member w/ a couple of questions - also interested in CONVERSTION KIT

elbasha
06-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Hello,
I am glad to see this E34 forums, I have seen the site but never actually seen "Forum" on that site until now. I have my 93 e34 wagon and I am loving it. I have some concerns with it though and I would like to see if there are any solutions out here from the e34 fans.

1 - I read in the posts about the "shimmy" car shaking between 40-60MPH, I do have that problem with the car but I am looking into switch the whole suspension in my car, I have the hydro suspension in the back and they are not working, here is what I am looking to buy:
I need to buy the conversion kit to use regular suspensions, anyone has any for sale or knows a good price? I have read some that sell for $150-200 but I can't find any.
Since I am doing that, I am going to need a new set of suspension for the whole car. If anyone knows a place to buy that or has for sale let me know.

2 - This doesn't really matter much but any clue would be appreciate it, the electric seats are acting weird.. when you raise the chair up, half of it would start moving upwards and the other half is not moving. So at the end if you raise it all the way the seat will be like this / , well not that high but you get my point I hope.

3 - Performance chip, I wanted to buy that but a quick question about it, does it really make a big difference? Like do you feel it when you start off or when you driving on the highway like going from 70 to 100?

Hope anyone can help me,
Thanks a lot!

525i winter driver
06-11-2008, 10:54 PM
hi - welcome

1 - make sure your tires are good and balanced properly because they can give the shimmies too, but i think most people here recommend http://www.bmaparts.com/ for parts if you are in the USA.

2 - do a search on the forum for "seat twist" there is a fix ... mine are manual, for now...

3 - duh....

bmwrp8
06-11-2008, 10:54 PM
welcome:) by the way it would help more if you put what kind of 93 e34 that u have. 525i?:)

elbasha
06-11-2008, 11:14 PM
welcome:) by the way it would help more if you put what kind of 93 e34 that u have. 525i?:)

Hey all! Yea it is a 525i, black wagon.

lol at the duh, is it that hard to install it? I skimmed through the installation on the site where they had it but I am not sure if it too complicated or not.

About the seat twist, I actually saw that link but it said something with the cables fix so I didn't know if it was what I need. Sorry if it is a dumb question, but do I have to remove the chair to do this or will it lift up from one side? I am just asking so I can prepare for everything when I actually get to the car tomorrow.

I am on the site you gave me, I don't seem to find any conversion kit or maybe it is how they have everything listed in their site, any help?

Sixdown
06-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Coincidentally I just finished fixing my second seat twist today. Took me a total of 1 hour while being extremely slow and stupid.

All you really need to do is unbolt the seat from the floor, unbolt the seatbelt, undo the seatbelt retractor cable, take off the headrest, pull it over the front two anchors, unplug the power, pull out the seat, set it on its side, look at the the underside-front of the seat where there are two motors, pull out the second motor from the front by unbolting four bolts, and the rest is better explained on a web page that I no longer have under favorites.

Do a search for "seat twist" and you'll get plenty of results and that web page.

elbasha
06-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Do I have to purchase anything for the twist?

Sixdown
06-12-2008, 02:22 AM
Do I have to purchase anything for the twist?
Nothing really, unless you screw up the entire procedure which is certainly difficult to do.

shogun
06-12-2008, 02:34 AM
Please add to your profile the exact model spec., month and year of production. That you will find on my website below, there is a VIN decoder further down.
In case of the 525, add also the engine type which you find in the VIN decoder.

1 - I read in the posts about the "shimmy" car shaking between 40-60MPH, I do have that problem with the car but I am looking into switch the whole suspension in my car, I have the hydro suspension in the back and they are not working, here is what I am looking to buy:
I need to buy the conversion kit to use regular suspensions, anyone has any for sale or knows a good price? I have read some that sell for $150-200 but I can't find any.
Since I am doing that, I am going to need a new set of suspension for the whole car. If anyone knows a place to buy that or has for sale let me know.

What is not working? Is the rear hard? If so, just replace the 'bombs' there and all is fine, they cost $ 134 a piece
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=dbiv1h45vzg50dmanybint2s&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1012105@525IT&year=1994&cid=27@Suspension%20System&gid=7554@Self-Leveling%20Accumulator%20Sphere/Air%20Cell

2 - This doesn't really matter much but any clue would be appreciate it, the electric seats are acting weird.. when you raise the chair up, half of it would start moving upwards and the other half is not moving. So at the end if you raise it all the way the seat will be like this / , well not that high but you get my point I hope.

See my website below, twisted seat back fix

525i winter driver
06-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Hey all! Yea it is a 525i, black wagon.

lol at the duh, is it that hard to install it?

sorry... i meant duh i have no idea :) but i think it's pretty easy unless you buy the wrong one.

BMWDriver
06-12-2008, 01:25 PM
The chip will give you more torque at low rpms, and let you rev a bit higher. I sometimes think about doing it too, but since I have a manual, I only need to go in the 3-4000 rpms range to get a quicker start. I'm not sure if the fuel economy gets affected by the chip or not, so getting one is not a priority for me.

Other effects are raising the top speed from 206 km/h to 220 km/h (I forget the mph equivalent) and broadening the range of accessible power (beyond 7k rpms). You will also have to gas up with higher octane than regular. Not negligeable nowadays.

elbasha
06-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Please add to your profile the exact model spec., month and year of production. That you will find on my website below, there is a VIN decoder further down.
In case of the 525, add also the engine type which you find in the VIN decoder.

What is not working? Is the rear hard? If so, just replace the 'bombs' there and all is fine, they cost $ 134 a piece
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=dbiv1h45vzg50dmanybint2s&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1012105@525IT&year=1994&cid=27@Suspension%20System&gid=7554@Self-Leveling%20Accumulator%20Sphere/Air%20Cell

See my website below, twisted seat back fix

The mechanic said there is no air going in the suspension anymore. What exactly do those 'bombs' do? If I am going to pay for them I would rather just change my whole suspension for a new one and spend a couple hundred more to put better struts and springs.
Any more info about the 'bombs' would help.

One more thing which could be with the wheels or the suspension, when you are driving at 85, the car is fine, as soon as you go above that area and press gas it is all smooth, once you take your foot off the pedal it would start shaking until the speed goes down to 85.

elbasha
06-12-2008, 06:32 PM
sorry... i meant duh i have no idea :) but i think it's pretty easy unless you buy the wrong one.

So what you didn't feel the difference when you changed it? Or you never bought it?

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/chip.htm

this is the chip I am thinking of purchasing.

elbasha
06-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Okay guys, I spent a good one hour trying to fix my twisted seat but no luck. I have a bocsh motor under the chair (title is rebuilt). The 8mm screws can't seem to come out, the place is way too small for me to even take them out but I tried my best with no luck. Is there anyway I can take the cable out without unscrewing those 2 8mm ones?