PDA

View Full Version : Thank God it doesnt take 6 hrs to replace spark plugs..

DaCan23
05-26-2004, 03:47 PM
So the GF has a 98 Sebring Convertible w/ a 2.5L V-6... Check engine light came on... she took it to the stealer.. misfire in 5 & 6... needs new plugs & ignition wires... $700!!! She freaked.. called me, called pops the Chrysler mechanic... why $700?? Oh to get at the rear bank to do plugs & wires you have to pull the intake manifold... WHAT!! Man that had to be an intentionally design to get the stealer billing 6 hrs of labor just to replace spark plugs.... on say they sold 200,000 of those engines over its life in all Chrysler models... gee thats $90M of stealer revenue if they do plugs on all those engines once at 50/60K miles when they should be done.... what a conspiracy!

rickm
05-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Her first mistake was taking it to a stealer. Find a good Indy in town and let him do it. Some indies will give you a firm price on the work instead of opening the Mitchell stuff and quoting from the book.

I had a Dodge Daytona once (3 trips to the shop in it's life, all for timing belts). Stopped by the stealer, 400.00. Talked to a "good" indy here in town...580.00 (biatch lived on the mitchell guide). Went to a little place down the street who's owner had a similar chassis car - 125.00 plus parts.

Anton CH.
05-27-2004, 11:02 AM
You think its bad on your car, you obvisously haven't seen the v6 engine on the Dodge Caravan. Going to let my mechanic deal with the spark plugs. Engineers at Dodge really need to start to think about their consumers a bit more.

Bill R.
05-27-2004, 11:14 AM
only have to remove the upper plenum on the manifold and its not nearly as bad as it sounds. Still allow 3 hours minimum though

You think its bad on your car, you obvisously haven't seen the v6 engine on the Dodge Caravan. Going to let my mechanic deal with the spark plugs. Engineers at Dodge really need to start to think about their consumers a bit more.

DaCan23
05-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Pops must like my new GF... as when he comes up in 2 weeks for Chrysler Mech school he said he'd do the job for her.... considering he'll prob get all the parts for free or $50... she is super happy!!

DaCan23
05-27-2004, 11:36 AM
They used this word "Plenum" what is that? Yeah I figured it was just a fancy word for the manifold.