PDA

View Full Version : My E34: RIP

DaveVoorhis
06-10-2008, 02:04 AM
On May 28th, whilst travelling south along the Scottish coast on the A77, on a sweeping curve near the village of Ballantrae, a grey Mazda minivan coming in the opposite direction lost control and skidded sideways into my lane. For a brief moment I heard his locked-up tyres scratching the tarmac; as I jammed the brakes I only had enough time to think "The End" before his left front wing slammed, with brutal force, into the driver's side front of my car. The impact stopped my vehicle instantly -- 50mph to zero in a fraction of a second -- and spun his vehicle like a top, causing his left rear to crash into my driver's side rear door and imploding the window in a blizzard of glass.

Silence. The check display showed "Dip Beam". Amazingly, the engine was still running, though oddly quiet; the serpentine belt was probably broken. I turned it off with the key.

After verifying that my passengers were alive and not bleeding, I shoulder-slammed my door open (it was jammed) and got out. My camera, which was on the back seat behind me, had been flung around the interior and was lying on the rear floor. I retrieved it and took some pictures:

http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/bang/bmw.jpg
http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/bang/mazda.jpg
http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/bang/crash.jpg

I have more, but, alas, the images of my poor car being hauled onto the flatbed lorry for its final journey to the knackers is too sad for words.

Goodbye, poor bimmer, and thanks for the good times.

Tiger
06-10-2008, 02:57 AM
Sorry to hear of this. Hope you are well.

pgrindstaff
06-10-2008, 08:11 AM
All I can say is WOW and stare at the pictures in disbelief. I am sorry for the loss of your car but am glad to hear it kept you and your passengers safe.

Ross
06-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Aw, bummer. All uninjured I assume and hope.
Looks as if the offending troll took the worst of it. At least your car has all four corners of the suspension intact.
Will you be replacing it with same or do as many are lately and move into a newer series?

525i winter driver
06-10-2008, 09:13 AM
wow how very unlucky, glad everyone was ok... looking forward to seeing your new project...

Bo525i
06-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Ouch, glad to read that you´re ok!

repenttokyo
06-10-2008, 10:51 AM
so sorry dude :(

Ferret
06-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Yikes, that's really unlucky - were there any witnesses? That thing looks like a typical rental car so the b*stards might be hard work insurance claiming on!

Good to see you walked away from it though, these cars really do stand up to some abuse!

e34.535i.sport
06-10-2008, 11:39 AM
You have my sincerest sympathies. I would hate it so much if some loser took my bimmer down like that. Keep your chin up, there's still a few good e34's out there...

ThoreauHD
06-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Ahh, man, that's my nightmare. I'm glad you and your passengers got out of that ok.

Black 535i
06-10-2008, 12:37 PM
How do you lose control on what looks like a straight road. I know you said sweeping curve but they must have been bad drivers!

whiskychaser
06-10-2008, 12:38 PM
So it was YOU blocking the damn road?!! Seriously though, shame about the motor. More importantly, glad you and yours got out OK.

nizmainiac
06-10-2008, 12:43 PM
sorry for your loss, glad you're ok, hopefully you'll get another e34 pretty darn soon

filip00
06-10-2008, 03:00 PM
good thing you're not hurt.

but that car of yours can still be fixed. i see no roof or B pillar damage, so with changed doors and other parts it can still be good to go.

Traian
06-10-2008, 03:36 PM
That's very sad mate, she was a beautiful car, I hope your next is even better.

bmwrp8
06-10-2008, 04:20 PM
that's so sad to hear. Sorry for your lost.poor bimmer. Glad to hear you and your passengers are ok though.

Mas (UK)
06-11-2008, 06:41 AM
Sorry to hear of your accident, and glad you and your passengers are all well and uninjured. After a big hit like that, as long as you are all well, everything else can be replaced.

I was up in Scotland with my brand new shiny beautiful wife in April skiing in Aviemore ... and noticed quite a few drivers racing along those A-roads, even though there are lots of signs for undercover police cars being about. This guy who hit you must have been one of them putting innocent peoples lives at risk.

Wish you all well and hope to hear from you soon with your new e34 purchase.

Take care,
Mas

DaveVoorhis
06-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all the good wishes.

I'll now be keeping my eye out for a new project -- something with enough breakage or mis-treatment to properly exercise my toolbox, but that can be returned to pristine condition without completely evacuating my wallet. A well-optioned E34 525i 5spd or 540i 6spd would be ideal, but I won't pass up an E39 525TDS, 528i or 540i for the right price. Heated seats are mandatory, however -- everybody loved those in my departed E34.

In the mean time, I've just insured my E30 and it goes for its MoT Friday morning, I've got the bike (though it needs new fork seals and steering head bearings), and the insurance company of the guy who hit me is paying for a hire car -- a 2008 Vauxhall Vectra 1.6.

The Vectra, by the way, is awful. I hate it.

weiss_535is
06-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Sucks to see mate, but glad you and your passengers are all okay, another testament to the E34s strength!

Dave M
06-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Well, it is surely sad, but the e34 did its job well. may be a bad analogy, but when my dog finally takes a 'dirt nap', I hope its due to a battle with a bear or cougar, much like your e34.

Good luck in your search and keep coming back here as you've been a great contributor tothe forum.

I see you've already updated your signature with the bad news :(

Dave M


06-11-2008, 04:28 PM
come on we all know you were ****ing around!

whiskychaser
06-11-2008, 05:28 PM
come on we all know you were ****ing around!
wtf?


06-11-2008, 05:58 PM
sorry, it was a tasteless joke.

karl1171
06-12-2008, 03:27 AM
Glad you are ok.

If you are getting another e34 I assume you'll be keeping the old one for parts. I know it took me ages to find one with aircon and sunroof. You have cruise and heated seats too, it seems like all these bits are virtually unknown on the standard UK cars!

DaveVoorhis
06-12-2008, 04:56 AM
If you are getting another e34 I assume you'll be keeping the old one for parts.
I'd like to keep my old E34 for parts, but as it's currently located in Scotland and I live five hours away in Derbyshire, it's unlikely I'll ever see it again. And, yes, it's the only E34 525i I'd ever seen with a 5spd, air, sunroof, OBC, M-Tech bits, cruise, armrests, rear sunshade, and heated seats. I'm sure there are others, but they don't seem to come up for sale. :(

Ferret
06-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I'd like to keep my old E34 for parts, but as it's currently located in Scotland and I live five hours away in Derbyshire, it's unlikely I'll ever see it again. And, yes, it's the only E34 525i I'd ever seen with a 5spd, air, sunroof, OBC, M-Tech bits, cruise, armrests, rear sunshade, and heated seats. I'm sure there are others, but they don't seem to come up for sale. :(

Damn, you should go scavenge the seats, obc and blind quick before some b*stard has em... they're quite valuable parts in this country :)

whiskychaser
06-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Damn, you should go scavenge the seats, obc and blind quick before some b*stard has em... they're quite valuable parts in this country :)
Insurance company probably 'own' the car by now so you might not get access to it. If it was my car I dont think I'd want to look at it again, let alone travel 10 hours to pick over its bones. :(

BMWDriver
06-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Ouch ! M-Tech wheels are expensive too... That was a beauty. Can't wait to see your next project. Kudos to your spirits !

DaveVoorhis
07-02-2008, 05:09 AM
It took some wrangling with the insurance company to get it here for free, but my car was finally delivered from Scotland.

http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/accident/CarComesHome.jpg

Getting it off the flatbed was a bit of a trick; the combination of a flat rear tyre and a chunk of steel jammed into the front tyre wouldn't let it move. The delivery guy finally propped up the front on a wheel dolly, slid the car off, then got his jack lodged underneath and couldn't remove it. I rescued it with my floor jack.

http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/accident/FinalRestingPlace.jpg

All bits, good or bad, will be sold on fleabay starting in the next couple of days.

genphreak
07-02-2008, 07:51 AM
In the cold, hard light of day... may I be the first to say...

That'll buff right out!

DaveVoorhis
07-02-2008, 08:04 AM
That'll buff right out!
I've been at it for three hours now with an old t-shirt and a bottle of Turtle Wax(TM) and it doesn't look any better. I don't think the broken window is going to come back no matter what I do. Should I try a different rubbing compound?

dacoyote
07-02-2008, 08:21 AM
I've been at it for three hours now with an old t-shirt and a bottle of Turtle Wax(TM) and it doesn't look any better. I don't think the broken window is going to come back no matter what I do. Should I try a different rubbing compound?

Make sure you are doing it right..... it has to be done like the karate kid...

E34-520iSE
07-02-2008, 08:39 AM
It may repair itself like Christine can. Have you tried that yet?

I'll be watching ebay - I need a n/s/r door!

ATB,

Shaun M

Ross
07-02-2008, 10:06 AM
" when my dog finally takes a 'dirt nap', I hope its due to a battle with a bear or cougar, much like your e34."
Fido could have different thoughts about this.

whiskychaser
07-03-2008, 01:49 PM
If my replacement auto box doesnt work out I may be forced to look to manual conversion. When you post it, could you let us know how to find it?

Zeuk in Oz
07-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Another example of BMW safety - glad you are all OK !

Thank goodness for well engineered cars.