PDA

View Full Version : This forum is TOTALLY #*$%#@!!

632 Regal
06-09-2008, 05:03 PM
what seems to be the problem sir?

632 Regal
06-09-2008, 06:55 PM
anytime I reply to a post it does not refresh to the top of the list

pundit
06-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Okay, did that get someones attention? :D
What does it take to fix this forum database?
Is it going to be fixed... EVER?
YES?... NO?

Some response would be a start.
Maybe someone can offer some help.

If not I resign.
It's just too much of a pain in the ass trying to use this forum anymore.
These problems have be continuing for what must be at least a year.

Maybe we all need to chip in a few $$$ to get a database person to have a look at the problem.

Are the constant apparent outages related to the database or some other server problem?

As my last post vanished into the ether we'll see if this one sticks!

genphreak
06-10-2008, 08:21 AM
anytime I reply to a post it does not refresh to the top of the listYep the site has been up and down liek a yo yo. Sometimes for extended perods, but yes, it really screws things up for people.

pundit
06-10-2008, 08:30 AM
what seems to be the problem sir?
The site's down half the time in the last week... often for 12 hours or more.
Date stamping is all over the place... one post I made just disappeared without trace.... apart from that?... No problems at all!

aaaaarrrrghhh!!!!

Ferret
06-10-2008, 08:53 AM
The site's down half the time in the last week... often for 12 hours or more.
Date stamping is all over the place... one post I made just disappeared without trace.... apart from that?... No problems at all!

aaaaarrrrghhh!!!!

This is doubtful a database issue - the vB software should throw an exception back to the user when it cant contact the database.

I expect there's a connection problem going on here... as somedays the target IP just doesnt exist. It may be a DNS issue thinking about that - is the site on a fixed IP or does it float around much? I've not checked - now I think about it this is actually symptoms of a slow DNS update going on. If it's on a DHCP'd connection and the connection bounces up and down a lot I'd expect to see exactly this behaviour.

The timecodes thing... could be a clash with the databases set region/code, a bug in vB itself or extremely unlikely - a database interface corruption.

I suspect this could easily be fixed by updating all the user fields in the database to use the same region code, then altering the preferences page to take away the 'change region' code chunk.

Time to move to a fixed server base somewhere?

Jon K
06-10-2008, 08:59 AM
This is doubtful a database issue - the vB software should throw an exception back to the user when it cant contact the database.

I expect there's a connection problem going on here... as somedays the target IP just doesnt exist. It may be a DNS issue thinking about that - is the site on a fixed IP or does it float around much? I've not checked - now I think about it this is actually symptoms of a slow DNS update going on. If it's on a DHCP'd connection and the connection bounces up and down a lot I'd expect to see exactly this behaviour.

The timecodes thing... could be a clash with the databases set region/code, a bug in vB itself or extremely unlikely - a database interface corruption.

I suspect this could easily be fixed by updating all the user fields in the database to use the same region code, then altering the preferences page to take away the 'change region' code chunk.

Time to move to a fixed server base somewhere?

Its a database issue - the connectivity is likely a connection issue. But, the time stamping being all jacked up is a database issue for sure. I almost don't post here any more because I cannot read anything with the posts bouncing all over.

Ferret
06-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Its a database issue - the connectivity is likely a connection issue. But, the time stamping being all jacked up is a database issue for sure. I almost don't post here any more because I cannot read anything with the posts bouncing all over.

Hmm I should have explained that properly, I replied to the wrong post -

The site being on/off is a connection issue not a database, the timestamps are something to do with the dbase...

It *could* be that the vB is changing locale based on who's interacting with it and changing the output of a curdate/currdate/sysdate call - but that would be an incredibly bad bug in the software!

repenttokyo
06-10-2008, 10:50 AM
i have to browse in hyrbrid mode now just so i can see which posts are new.

ThoreauHD
06-10-2008, 11:50 AM
If it's a mysql backend, you can run a check on the db live. It'll probably take 10 hours, but it'll run. Also make sure ntpd is configured on the database machine. If time sync is off on the source server, then the db will jack up the date. you can put a cron entry to run every hour like ntpdate -b time.mit.edu, or if it's a windows machine then use somethign called the Tardis 2000. I think that's what it's called.

But yea, time sync and db cleanup needs doin. You can lookup the mysql check commands in google. I forgot them off the top of my head. If I had to guess from the symptoms, one table in the database is corrupt, and it'll need to be truncated.

Bimmer Nut Ed
06-10-2008, 12:18 PM
I know, I know. I waiting for the Auto Grills guys to get off my server, then I'm migrating it to a whole new server. I've planned this for three months ago, but these Auto Grills guys can't seem to move their data. They originally used/abused my photo gallery on Ebay, but since then they've actually paid me to keep it up. But I told them to get off, and they are just so slow. I actually have a new colo server all ready for Bimmer.info. I've had it for months.

I am so sorry guys. It will be better very very soon.

repenttokyo
06-10-2008, 12:29 PM
I know, I know. I waiting for the Auto Grills guys to get off my server, then I'm migrating it to a whole new server. I've planned this for three months ago, but these Auto Grills guys can't seem to move their data. They originally used/abused my photo gallery on Ebay, but since then they've actually paid me to keep it up. But I told them to get off, and they are just so slow. I actually have a new colo server all ready for Bimmer.info. I've had it for months.

regarding the database issues - surely those can be fixed pre-server migration?

whiskychaser
06-10-2008, 12:33 PM

Whatever Auto Grills is, I'm sorry its giving you problems. Nobody asked me for money to use this site so its seems you are doing what you do for free. If you need a subscription to sort things out maybe nows the time to say so? Otherwise I'm happy to sit back and let you do all the work:-)

bimmerd00d
06-11-2008, 03:22 AM
Ed, 1000 thanks for your generosity and time on bimmer.info over the years. I don't think your recognition gets posted enough on here. So guys, give Ed a break. He works is @$$ off on this site at no charge. Ed, you rock, and I can't wait to see the new site on the new server.

Sam-Son
06-11-2008, 08:34 AM
ive moved on to the other site

Incantation
06-11-2008, 09:19 AM
ether doesn't exist

i'll chip in ed whats your paypal, and thank for making this resource available

Bimmer Nut Ed
06-12-2008, 10:35 AM
I'll take care of all the problems, I guarantee.

But if you want to donate, you can click the link below. It donates to Crappie.com, but that is my site as well (just mention Bimmer.info in the notes so I can tell the difference). If you want to offer to help, I will certainly not turn it down. Thanks guys, and sorry for the delay in fixing things up.
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=HDGBzMFXdpN4E7Q_-DqcwyVVilgbSRq-Szd0z5i5I-_nAO3AjkNVqaQkkmW&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f1ff80d546411d7f84f1036d8f 209d3d1312c885e6b212b10

e34.535i.sport
06-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Ed, 1000 thanks for your generosity and time on bimmer.info over the years. I don't think your recognition gets posted enough on here. So guys, give Ed a break. He works is @$$ off on this site at no charge. Ed, you rock, and I can't wait to see the new site on the new server.

+1

pundit
06-12-2008, 03:42 PM
I'll take care of all the problems, I guarantee.

But if you want to donate, you can click the link below. It donates to Crappie.com, but that is my site as well (just mention Bimmer.info in the notes so I can tell the difference). If you want to offer to help, I will certainly not turn it down. Thanks guys, and sorry for the delay in fixing things up.
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=HDGBzMFXdpN4E7Q_-DqcwyVVilgbSRq-Szd0z5i5I-_nAO3AjkNVqaQkkmW&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f1ff80d546411d7f84f1036d8f 209d3d1312c885e6b212b10
Hi Ed,
Link doesn't work.
It says "Page not found"

Don't take my gripe personally.
I appreciate your efforts running this site for so long.
I've only now been able to access the site again after another 10 hour outage.
If we can help out and get things sorted then all will be good. :)

ThoreauHD
06-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Not sure a new host will help. As it's showing signs of db corruption, you may lose quite a bit of data during the migration. If you are starting clean though, then no problem.

mattyb
06-13-2008, 04:50 AM
and ditto from me

Tiger
06-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Whoa... it is really messed up... My name showed up as original poster? I didn't even start that post.

Bimmer Nut Ed
06-13-2008, 08:14 PM
I ran a bunch of cleanup routines last night. Let me know if you see problems still.

632 Regal
06-14-2008, 06:36 PM
nothing resfershes how lame..can someone take my interest on and keep the numbers? saddening

BMWDriver
06-15-2008, 08:34 PM
I just went into my user CP and switched the dst to automatic. Seems to have fixed it so far, whereas before I always wound up a few posts ahead.