PDA

View Full Version : Clutch replacement without dropping the muffler

Kibokojoe
06-09-2008, 09:54 AM
On Sunday a mechanic buddy of mine help me replace the clutch on my 89 535i. We managed to complete the job in less than 5 hours. The biggest pain was the reverse torx screws on the bell housing. Of course the screw that was on the very top of the bell housing was the one that the head was stripped. What is the advantage of these torx screws. They appear to be a pain in the butt to me. Anyway we managed to move the muffler around just enough to get the driveshaft out of the way. Also rebuilt the shifter while I was in there. Yeah no clutch slippage and no slop in the shifter, what else can I ask for. Now on to the struts.

Dave M
06-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Well done getting around the exhaust. I always spend the extra time and remove it, but this ussualy means a few pieces of new hardware (manifold stud nuts etc.).

As for the external torx bolts, one of the top ones was also partially stripped on mine due to its awkward location. I think it held up OK and was just glad to get it removed. Keeping a regular socket on a bolt at the end of that many extensions would have been just as difficult. I bought an entire new set of bolts so I could get the torque right on re-assembly, and, in case I need to get back in there.

Dave