PDA

View Full Version : Spec'ing front suspension

Kibokojoe
06-09-2008, 09:48 AM
How do you spec the front suspension on my 89 535i? I have had the bimmer for one year now and the passenger side strut is bouncing. Want to replace struts, springs, spring seats and strut mounts. Question is how do I tell if I have a lowered 535i? I have heard that with Bilstein struts you are not suppose to use bumpers? This is all very confusing. Any one out there found a good combo for all these parts?

dennyg
06-09-2008, 10:35 AM
How do you spec the front suspension on my 89 535i? I have had the bimmer for one year now and the passenger side strut is bouncing. Want to replace struts, springs, spring seats and strut mounts. Question is how do I tell if I have a lowered 535i? I have heard that with Bilstein struts you are not suppose to use bumpers? This is all very confusing. Any one out there found a good combo for all these parts?
I know the 1989 car has different struts then all the other years. I believe its 17mm nut and the others are larger. I put sport Bilstein and kept the stock springs. I like the handling but its quite harsh especially potholes.

Kibokojoe
06-09-2008, 12:26 PM
How do you know if you need new springs?

I know the 1989 car has different struts then all the other years. I believe its 17mm nut and the others are larger. I put sport Bilstein and kept the stock springs. I like the handling but its quite harsh especially potholes.

JohnC
06-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Springs don't really wear out, you can change them out if you want soemthing stiffer or shorter. Otherwise don't worry about it unless they look damaged,really rusty.