PDA

View Full Version : Can't get front shocks for love nor money...

e34.535i.sport
06-06-2008, 08:40 PM
I need some help locating some front shocks suitable for 90' 535i Sport with M-tech suspension. I've tried everywhere local (and even a few not so local places) and nowhere can get them??? It's getting ridiculous.

Can anybody tell me what the 'fitting' differences are between the 'normal' suspension and M-tech? Surely the inserts for the e34 are all the same fitment? I can see how the edc shocks may be different but can't figure out why it's so difficult to source some for my car that will definitely fit.

Long story short it looks like I'm going to have to go online for this one which I didn't really want to do but anyway... I'm looking for a stock ride stiffness-wise, and I'm keeping the original springs as they're holding up fine. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some shocks that will definitely fit my car and to a reliable source where I can get them (UK base preferred but I'm keeping my options open)... Please be specific becasue I'm having no luck here at all and I've been messed around for weeks by multiple places ordering in the wrong ones etc! Part numbers and links would be most appreciated - I'm desperate to get them done it's been waiting for a long time...

Cheers guys.

mamilapon
06-07-2008, 03:49 AM
I need some help locating some front shocks suitable for 90' 535i Sport with M-tech suspension. I've tried everywhere local (and even a few not so local places) and nowhere can get them??? It's getting ridiculous.

Can anybody tell me what the 'fitting' differences are between the 'normal' suspension and M-tech? Surely the inserts for the e34 are all the same fitment? I can see how the edc shocks may be different but can't figure out why it's so difficult to source some for my car that will definitely fit.

Long story short it looks like I'm going to have to go online for this one which I didn't really want to do but anyway... I'm looking for a stock ride stiffness-wise, and I'm keeping the original springs as they're holding up fine. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some shocks that will definitely fit my car and to a reliable source where I can get them (UK base preferred but I'm keeping my options open)... Please be specific becasue I'm having no luck here at all and I've been messed around for weeks by multiple places ordering in the wrong ones etc! Part numbers and links would be most appreciated - I'm desperate to get them done it's been waiting for a long time...

Cheers guys.
Go to bmaparts.com, talk to either Patrick or Yves:)

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-07-2008, 04:01 AM
Had exactly the same problem last year. The strut piston rod is thicker which means the strut top has a bigger bearing. The only reason I succeeded was getting big discount from stealer as I could not find shocks anywhere,and as for strut tops,grief.Even the scrap M5 I had only yielded the conical taper washers as rest was bent.I got most of the way to converting the old set to coil-over with Demon-Tweaks adapters which is one route you could try.Good luck!

genphreak
06-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Best to get a set of 540 mounts (the bigger top nut) as well as a pair of 540i spec Konis or Billies plus the right bump stops for the springs. Change the springs and pads whilst you are at it. :) Nick

BTW: If lowered, get SASHS Sports or Koni Sports shocks- they make a lot of difference. Bilstein are too damned hard.

bigtallsam
06-07-2008, 12:45 PM
have you tried

http://www.peter-michaels.com/

their a good bunch of chaps

s

whiskychaser
06-07-2008, 01:32 PM
You have post

zhandax
06-08-2008, 04:05 AM
Yup, your bump stops will be toast. Also replace the top mounts;about $150 but beats having to go back and do it after you replace the struts. Since you are in the UK, the shipping may be less if you call Rusty at buyeuroparts.com for replacements (Peter is in Cali, Rusty is in Atlanta). Considering the pound is still worth about 2 bucks, you may get a deal. If Rusty can't help you, check Bell BMW in NJ (you can buy parts online). They have some of the better dealer pricing I have found. Good Luck!

e34.535i.sport
06-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Hey guys... Before I respond to everyone individually to say thanks I'll say it now... THANKS!

Alos, I took the top cover off, and found I have a 19mm nut on top... What does this mean?! I know there are two variations, but the impression I was under is that the M-tech is a 22mm nut and the 'normal' suspension is the 19mm... Can anyone elaborate on this?

Realoem.com puts me under the impression I have M-tech suspension whenever I search for parts...

Paul in NZ
06-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Hey guys... Before I respond to everyone individually to say thanks I'll say it now... THANKS!

Alos, I took the top cover off, and found I have a 19mm nut on top... What does this mean?! I know there are two variations, but the impression I was under is that the M-tech is a 22mm nut and the 'normal' suspension is the 19mm... Can anyone elaborate on this?

Realoem.com puts me under the impression I have M-tech suspension whenever I search for parts...
you are not thinking of the sway bars are you?

e34.535i.sport
06-10-2008, 03:48 AM
you are not thinking of the sway bars are you?

No- apparently there are two diameters for the interior rod on the shock insert... I ought both sets of nuts from BMW already just incase!

e34.535i.sport
06-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Hey - all sorted. Many thanks to all esp. my new best friend Mamilapon as Yves and BMA sorted me out good style. Got the correct Bilstien's in the end and I'm dying to get them in! Gonna need some time though as I have new mounts, new lower aluminium control arms (m5 bushes) and new thrust arms (750iL bushes) to get in at the same time! I'm hoping it's going to transform the front end... Wish me luck!

BigKriss
06-15-2008, 09:18 AM
i'm not picking on you mate

the lower control arm, you can't get m5 / normal bushes, and the thrust arm bush is more durable with the m5 items.

Hey - all sorted. Many thanks to all esp. my new best friend Mamilapon as Yves and BMA sorted me out good style. Got the correct Bilstien's in the end and I'm dying to get them in! Gonna need some time though as I have new mounts, new lower aluminium control arms (m5 bushes) and new thrust arms (750iL bushes) to get in at the same time! I'm hoping it's going to transform the front end... Wish me luck!

BigKriss
06-15-2008, 09:22 AM
i thought you just look at the nut on the top of the strut insert. it will be either 19mm or 22mm and from there you order the appropriate strut mount. no use in purchasing two when you already know what one you have.

No- apparently there are two diameters for the interior rod on the shock insert... I ought both sets of nuts from BMW already just incase!

Paul in NZ
06-15-2008, 08:51 PM
good luck!

e34.535i.sport
06-16-2008, 02:18 AM
i thought you just look at the nut on the top of the strut insert. it will be either 19mm or 22mm and from there you order the appropriate strut mount. no use in purchasing two when you already know what one you have.

Yeah at that point I was going to BMW with a friend to pick up some parts he needed and hadn't yet checked what size, so simply bought four nuts instead of two - it wasn't a major expense or anything so its all good! :p

e34.535i.sport
06-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Hey guys... Wasn't sure whether to post this on a new thread but here goes...

Having serious problems removing the big collar nut holding the shock insert into the housing... Tried some serious leverage on the end of a pipe wrench, and even hitting the pipe wrench with a hammer and using WD40. Not budged at all. Any suggestions? I was planning on getting the heat gun on it tomorrow, if that doesn't work i'm all out of ideas.

Feeling pretty bad I couldn't get the job done tonight... Really wanted to get it done. :(

zhandax
06-17-2008, 03:19 AM
I used two 24" pipe wrenches and had a 4' section of 1.5" galvanized pipe cut. I slid that over the end of one pipe wrench with the other one under the car (rear end was less than a foot off the floor with the front end jacked up). Since you will have to buy an entire 10' setion, you could just put one over each pipe wrench. It too eight 90° turns before I could turn it with just the wrenches. Good Luck!

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-17-2008, 03:32 AM
Unless its too late, leave strut on car, take off wheel,persuade a pair of Stilsons/pipe wrench AND extension onto collar through spring and give it max gorilla. If its already off car, find a strong bench vice and repeat above,putting two wrenches on will require two people or some ingenuity to jam one solidly.When you are taking the top nut off, put a pipe wrench right underneath at the top of the shock(to avoid buggering the shaft/seal),if you have the most useful tool in the world, a Snap-on rattle gun, then its a piece of cake.

zhandax
06-17-2008, 03:49 AM
From experience, by the time you realize this, it will already be off the car. I assume 'rattle gun' is an impact wrench? What did you use to grip the round collar nut?

BigKriss
06-17-2008, 04:57 AM
i try this a while ago and i couldn't remove the big nut either because the strut insert kept on spinning. you need a rattle gun on that top nut

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-17-2008, 05:50 AM
To get the top nut off when off car,clamp the very top of the insert with Stilsons(pretty safe, the bump stop, stops the marks you make from catching the seal) and apply rattle gun, it will go with socket but if you have "budget" top-mounts they need a socket than is machined down on the outside to get onto the nut, proper ones fit normal socket.

e34.535i.sport
06-19-2008, 04:37 PM
i try this a while ago and i couldn't remove the big nut either because the strut insert kept on spinning. you need a rattle gun on that top nut

I think you misunderstand - I'm talking about the big collar that holds the insert into the strut!

e34.535i.sport
06-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Hey all - Got it sorted! Used the small pipe wrench I have (it's about 10" long LOL) with a massive cheater bar on the end of it and it took 14stone leaning on it to budge!! One side is done, took some pics too... The mount looks pretty old - I reckon original.
http://img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/4/6/19/f_Shockmountm_172aa9b.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/6/19/f_Shockmountm_172aa9b.jpg&srv=img28)

The bump stop as predicted (thank you!) was brown bread...
http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/4/6/19/f_Bumpstopm_1e80f3e.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/6/19/f_Bumpstopm_1e80f3e.jpg&srv=img37)

The shock as far as I can tell is a dealer part...
http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/4/6/19/f_Shockm_a1eff54.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/6/19/f_Shockm_a1eff54.jpg&srv=img26)

Read on...

e34.535i.sport
06-19-2008, 04:55 PM
The date on the shock is 1995!!!! Is this a normal life for a shock insert???? In fairness is it absolutely goosed, there is very little resistance when pushing the piston into the shock and it's making a fair bit of noise.

http://img27.picoodle.com/img/img27/4/6/19/f_Shockingm_b8970c7.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/6/19/f_Shockingm_b8970c7.jpg&srv=img27)

mamilapon
06-19-2008, 05:02 PM
ok, all I did to get mine off was to put the strut securely in a vice, used a cold chisel on the collar nut at the right angle with a nice heavy hammer. Came loose easy!! You wont need the nut, there's a new one on the new inserts. Good luck!!

zhandax
06-20-2008, 05:03 AM
Yes, the life on these is luxurious. My 94 had the originals in it and they still functioned somewhat. That is why I replaced them with OEM Sachs. Your collar nut looks about the same as mine did after the 2 24" pipe wrenches and 10' of galvanized pipe. I scratched up the strut housing like all hell also. I wonder if I should hit it with some flat black paint?

e34.535i.sport
06-21-2008, 03:36 PM
All done!!! The car now has new lower/upper control arms, new shock mounts and new bilstein shocks - It feels like a new car, absolute dream to drive. It doen's even feel like the tracking's out either LOL!

The new mounts have rid the car of the noisyness so to speak, it's just so silent and comfortable now. I'm happy that I ended up ordering the standard bilsteins rather than the sport as the ride is definitely firm enough for me - just right.

The worst thing about it is getting those collar nuts off. I snapped the handle on the small pipe wrench I had so I went out and bought a big scary mo-fo and that done the trick! It still didn't give up without a fight though...

Many thanks on all advice and comments guys... :D