PDA

View Full Version : OT - It appears some are getting the idea!

pundit
06-06-2008, 06:03 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/06/2267285.htm

The biggest health threat to the third world is starvation, aids/disease and war.
The biggest health threat to the developed world is obesity... the rest are way down the list.

The money the west spends dealing with obesity related disease could dramatically reduce the current global food shortage in the third world.

Ronald McDonald kills more Americans than Osama Bin Laden ever did... no contest.

And no, I'm not trying to be smart... it's a fact!

I don't see the U.S. Government funding a 'War on Ronald'

Now where is he hiding those pesky 'Burgers of Mass Consumption?' ;)

Don't worry, we're nearly as fat down here.

525i winter driver
06-06-2008, 06:09 PM
we're fat here too it's gross :)

repenttokyo
06-06-2008, 06:11 PM
it's not just fast food that makes people obese, it's also portion size.

i do a lot of work in the field of CVD and the stats are crazy. I have changed the way I eat myself recently, and I am down 9 lbs so far.

pundit
06-06-2008, 06:25 PM
it's not just fast food that makes people obese, it's also portion size.

i do a lot of work in the field of CVD and the stats are crazy. I have changed the way I eat myself recently, and I am down 9 lbs so far.
I've been to the U.S. a couple of times for work.
The first was in 1999.
The thing that shocked me were the portion sizes.
Everything seemed to be supersized.

I was aware of a LOT of very overweight people.
I am now aware of a LOT of very overweight people here in Australia.
We still have free health care here but the system is already very overloaded. (pun intended)
The obesity epidemic here is adding greatly to it.
People are smoking less but stuffing their bodies more.

whiskychaser
06-06-2008, 06:28 PM
The solution appears to be that everybody moves to Kent and grows their own veg on an allotment? All for it if Felicity Kendal is on my team

pundit
06-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Just in...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/07/2267901.htm

And Israel is talking up an attack on Iran (http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/news/audio/am/200806/20080607sam01-market-shock.mp3)

If that happens oil will hit $300 a barrel in no time!

Mitch90535im
06-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Yeah, I'm one of those obese Americans. I'm 51 and was pushing 300 lbs. My doctor kept warning me that if I didn't get off my fat ass, diet, and more improtantly exercise, I would end up with Diabetes or heart disease.

This went on for 4-5 years until finally one day, "Well Mr. B., I tried to warn you, congratulations you have Type II Diabetes, so it's now a matter of life or death."

I went home that evening feeling depressed and really pissed off at myself and my wifey came to me and said, "You know, since the "stick" approach of the Dr. telling you that you're going to die didn't work, let's try the "carrot". You know that BMW bike you've been wanting?"

Man, I about fell out of my chair, "You're going to buy me a motorcycle I screamed!?!" "No, dumbass, but if you get this thing under control I'm giving you my permission to buy yourself one."

That did the trick. I did a complete lifestyle change. Took Diabetes management classes, started doing 2 miles a day on the threadmill, eating right, limiting alcohol, etc., etc.

It's been tough, but a year and -50 lbs. later I feel better than I've felt in the past 2 years. It's hard when everyone at the office are going out for Mexican, or an all-you-can-eat buffet for lunch, or for margaritas after work, but somehow (BMW 1200 GS) I've been able to stick with it.

I just deposited a check in my account to cover the bike this week and when thowe funds are available in a couple of weeks, I'm buying a late moded (probably a 2005) one of these -

http://www.edelweissbike.com/Upload/BMW_R1200GS.jpg

I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve. I can't wait.

pundit
06-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I'm one of those obese Americans. I'm 51 and was pushing 300 lbs. My doctor kept warning me that if I didn't get off my fat ass, diet, and more improtantly exercise, I would end up with Diabetes or heart disease.

This went on for 4-5 years until finally one day, "Well Mr. B., I tried to warn you, congratulations you have Type II Diabetes, so it's now a matter of life or death."

I went home that evening feeling depressed and really pissed off at myself and my wifey came to me and said, "You know, since the "stick" approach of the Dr. telling you that you're going to die didn't work, let's try the "carrot". You know that BMW bike you've been wanting?"

Man, I about fell out of my chair, "You're going to buy me a motorcycle I screamed!?!" "No, dumbass, but if you get this thing under control I'm giving you my permission to buy yourself one."

That did the trick. I did a complete lifestyle change. Took Diabetes management classes, started doing 2 miles a day on the threadmill, eating right, limiting alcohol, etc., etc.

It's been tough, but a year and -50 lbs. later I feel better than I've felt in the past 2 years. It's hard when everyone at the office are going out for Mexican, or an all-you-can-eat buffet for lunch, or for margaritas after work, but somehow (BMW 1200 GS) I've been able to stick with it.

I just deposited a check in my account to cover the bike this week and when thowe funds are available in a couple of weeks, I'm buying a late moded (probably a 2005) one of these -

Good on you for doing something about it.
Four people I know have died in the past 4 weeks.
The first was a friend of mine who dropped dead of a heart attack at 51 four weeks ago.
The day of his funeral another person I know was also being buried.
She died from lung cancer at 42.
My ex girlfriend recently had a pulmonary embolism which nearly killed her.
Then her father suicided three weeks ago.
My neighbours father died two days ago from complications after a hernia operation.

That tells me something.
Any of us could be gone tommorrow.
Life is short and precarious.
Get healthy and enjoy it for as long as it's enjoyable!

repenttokyo
06-06-2008, 07:57 PM

congrats dude, whatever it takes to make a positive life change!

pundit
06-06-2008, 07:59 PM
This may be of interest to you...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/07/2267919.htm

repenttokyo
06-06-2008, 09:48 PM
This may be of interest to you...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/07/2267919.htm

no mention of the side effects of the low blood sugar.

RockJock
06-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Just in...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/07/2267901.htm

And Israel is talking up an attack on Iran (http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/news/audio/am/200806/20080607sam01-market-shock.mp3)

If that happens oil will hit $300 a barrel in no time!

me thinks it will unfold this way, but not until the Olympics are behind us.... Israel will launch strategic strikes, Iran will retaliate.....then others will get involved, a century of resource wars will ensue...

Ross
06-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Some here equate quantity with value, hence the portion size and Costco.

Ross
06-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Congrats. You'd look really silly on that thing at three bills anyway.
A neighbor has bought one and LOVES it. He is a former racer and had to give up his heavily modified Kaw canyon carver because of back troubles associated with getting old. Says he doesn't miss the Kaw a bit.

Mitch90535im
06-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Congrats. You'd look really silly on that thing at three bills anyway.
A neighbor has bought one and LOVES it. He is a former racer and had to give up his heavily modified Kaw canyon carver because of back troubles associated with getting old. Says he doesn't miss the Kaw a bit.

Yes, but not as silly as some of the "Wild Hog" looking guys around here look all hunched over on a ricer crotch rocket. My ultimate goal is 199, but the Dr. told me I could settle for 220. (~25 more lbs to go).