PDA

View Full Version : get rid of rust forever!!!!!

dwaynos
06-06-2008, 12:51 PM
hi, what is the best way to get rid of rust from the bottom of my door to make sure that it will not come back?

thanks

Jehu
06-06-2008, 12:54 PM
replace the door...with one without rust.

dwaynos
06-06-2008, 01:07 PM
lol
ok without having to replace the door
theres not much just a bit starting to creep along the bottom

AngryPopTart
06-08-2008, 02:11 AM
Can you show some good pics of it? Rust is usually the product of either the paint somehow being removed from the surface and the bare metal then rusting OR it's starting from the inside of the pinch-weld/seam that wraps around into the jamb of the door, possibly because there is junk built up in the bottom of the door and it is not draining properly.

bmwrp8
06-08-2008, 04:16 AM
replace the door...with one without rust.
+1 on that less headache;)

Rick L
06-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Try rust converter like the product below. It really works and stops the rust and chemically turns rust into different solid compound. After apllying, it turns black in color so if you have black car, you don't have to paint it. ;)

http://www.gemplers.com/product/RCG/Rust-Converter-One-Gallon

hi, what is the best way to get rid of rust from the bottom of my door to make sure that it will not come back?

thanks

dwaynos
06-08-2008, 02:08 PM
hi, i have some pics of the rust. it looks like the paint has bubbled and rusted.
sorry the pics are a bit large i didnt know they would come out that big lol

AngryPopTart
06-10-2008, 08:35 PM
This is why you should shoot a blast of water behind all your pieces of trim. Water doesn't cause rust; the junk that builds up behind the moldings or in the bottom of the door and keeps it wet, and contains contaminants, is what causes panels to rust.

We've fixed a lot of rust and that looks like it's all the way through the panel. You can't see through it now, but soon as you hit it with a grinder... swiss cheese.

Rust Mort by SEM is another good product, but that really serves no purpose for you unless you're a body man because that mess needs to be ground off, treated on the inside, and then patched with sheet metal. There is really nothing you can do to stop it from getting worse at this point, except having it repaired.

dwaynos
06-11-2008, 02:13 PM
so what is the best way to get rid of it without having to replace any panels?

thanks

whiskychaser
06-11-2008, 04:01 PM
so what is the best way to get rid of it without having to replace any panels?

thanks
Think Mr Angry answered that:) But if you dont want to swap panels and are really handy with filler and paint you need to:
1. Grind away all paint until what you have got is clean solid metal
2. Bend the edges of any holes inwards. That includes any pits
3. Fill holes with filler. Big holes you need metal gauze as backing
4. Sand back and fill any pocks with cellulose stopper
(use a block, wet and dry and plenty of water)
4. Prime x 2 and flatten
5. Mask and spray top/varnish coats
My guess is your big problem will be the very bottom of the door. If the seam is shot you have nothing to guide you or fill against. If you havent done this before-and I guess thats the case-you might be better leaving it to someone like Mr A. You are going to be feel pretty sick if you spend a weekend trying to fix it and it ends up like a dogs dinner. No offence :)

tim s
06-11-2008, 07:52 PM
tim s.

Kalevera
06-12-2008, 02:18 AM
A door in that shape is almost certainly not economical to fix, better to just replace it.

More pics and commentary here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=964254