PDA

View Full Version : could i get a misfire?

dwaynos
06-06-2008, 05:04 AM
i have heard that on the e34, if you remove the HT leads then i could start getting misfires because of the type of lead they are or something. is that true or am i safe from misfires when i change my plugs?
is there any certain way i should remove them?

thanks

whiskychaser
06-06-2008, 06:08 AM
Doesnt your car have one coil per pot like this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=HG51&mospid=47392&hg=12&fg=05
If so you dont have a plug lead problem:) You can damage carbon trace leads by pulling them in the middle instead of right at the ends

Dave M
06-06-2008, 06:39 AM
i have heard that on the e34, if you remove the HT leads then i could start getting misfires because of the type of lead they are or something. is that true or am i safe from misfires when i change my plugs?
is there any certain way i should remove them?

thanks

Just curious as to where you heard this. As Whiskey stated, you should have coil on plug ignition.

Dave

dwaynos
06-06-2008, 12:43 PM
yes mine is the same as that, so is there any particular way to remove them.

at the garage where i work part time i was told by the boss when i was doin a service on it not to remove them unless i need to because i could get problems with misfires.

thanks for the replys

whiskychaser
06-06-2008, 12:54 PM
The coil packs are spring loaded. When you undo the 4 nuts ( no. 4 in diagram) the whole lot will pop up. No tugging required. But I do advise you to put a rag in each pot as you take out the plug-you dont want the little nuts from the next pot you undo dropping down the hole!!

dwaynos
06-06-2008, 01:05 PM
thanks
so the boss isnt always right lol

Dave M
06-06-2008, 01:07 PM
yes mine is the same as that, so is there any particular way to remove them.

at the garage where i work part time i was told by the boss when i was doin a service on it not to remove them unless i need to because i could get problems with misfires.

thanks for the replys

If you want to change your plugs, I guess you need to take the risk ;)

I remove mine routinely, a number of times per year and can't see how/why removal would trigger a problem. Remember to remove a battery cable, just to be safe.

Good luck with it,

Dave

dwaynos
06-07-2008, 03:13 AM
so i have to dissconnect the battery befroe i remove them?

whiskychaser
06-07-2008, 11:47 AM
so i have to dissconnect the battery befroe i remove them?
Its probably safest but I dont bother. I just make sure the ignition is off so I dont get any surprises from live coil packs:)