PDA

View Full Version : strut mounts fukced?

Monastie
06-05-2008, 07:58 PM
this on my car:
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/5496/53603476aq5.png

is popped up a bit on the passenger side compared to the driver side.
and it moves up and down a bit when i bounce the car...

what's ****ed exactly and is it dangerous to drive with it like that.... not that I have a choice anyways...

Dave M
06-06-2008, 06:34 AM
this on my car:

is popped up a bit on the passenger side compared to the driver side.
and it moves up and down a bit when i bounce the car...

what's ****ed exactly and is it dangerous to drive with it like that.... not that I have a choice anyways...

Well, I've never seen a strut mount do what you describe, but I won't doubt it for a second. Unless the (3X13mm?) nuts that secure it to the body are loose, then yes your strut mount is FUBAR and needs to go.

It consists of rubber and a bearing, so take your pick on which is causing all the play. Now is the time to think about suspension maintenance/upgrades, as the entire strut assembly and spring must be removed to replace the mounts. Oh, and do both, as the other side isn't far behind.

Dave

Monastie
06-06-2008, 06:59 AM
actually I just changed the front suspension for bavauto springs and bilstein sports shocks

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-06-2008, 07:42 AM
If the centre nut is the thing moving then chances are that when somebody replaced the springs they did not do the nut up tight enough. If the three 13mm nuts are moving then tighten them! The bearing/rubber does fail but it should have been obvious when the springs were changed, given aset of spring compressors its no bug deal to replace, search the forum for "how to"

Tiger
06-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Then you forgot to put back the conical washer that sits on the strut shaft and before the upper strut mount.

gmannino
06-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Sounds like your drivers strut bearing has failed. I would not drive like that or the strut top could puncture or dent your hood on a tall bump.

You can buy a new strut bearing but you are supposed to change both sides when you replaced your shocks.

repenttokyo
06-06-2008, 07:07 PM
it happened on my car. It needs to be replaced.

Monastie
06-06-2008, 08:35 PM
well its fixed... most overpriced fix ever but I needed the car quick :(

repenttokyo
06-06-2008, 09:48 PM
well its fixed... most overpriced fix ever but I needed the car quick :(

where did you go?

Monastie
06-07-2008, 08:05 AM
A garage on cote-vertu in front of the jean-coutu called garage rony.
sourcing them was a pain... so I could only use the parts he found, since the ones autoelectra had gave me were the wrong ones.
ended up with a 663$ bill concluding very badly a very bad week.

525i winter driver
06-07-2008, 08:55 AM
A garage on cote-vertu in front of the jean-coutu called garage rony.
sourcing them was a pain... so I could only use the parts he found, since the ones autoelectra had gave me were the wrong ones.
ended up with a 663$ bill concluding very badly a very bad week.
fh when you get xxxxed here you really get xxxxed - i'm not saying the garage ripped you off but it's so xxxxing impossible to get reasonably priced parts around here and when you do get them they're the wrong one. autolectra sent me a HG for a m50 when i was already up the creek in a crap garage last december. most of the people at autolectra are really good and helpful but the last guy that helped me was searching for a 'radiator cap' in the transmission section.
-my sympathies.

zhandax
06-08-2008, 04:14 AM
I learned the hard way on the E28 to replace the strut mounts when replacing the struts. Ended up changing them out about 6 months later (recompressing the springs which is the PITA part).