PDA

View Full Version : water (?)/Condensation in and blowing out of Central Air Duct

shellback87
06-04-2008, 08:52 PM
2003 530i. 76K miles, bought the car about a month ago. Now running a/c for the last week or so. Got in car the other day after an afternoon of 80+ temps. Turned on a/c and cranked the fan. Heard water sloshing around from my right side, looked over my shoulder and saw the central air duct misting the back seat! Slowed to a stop, accelerator to the floor and a hard right turn spilled A LOT of water (condensation?) out of the vent. What gives?

shogun
06-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Does it smell and look like coolant? Cooalnt is usually greenish, but can be a different color depending what was filled in.
Coolant smells a bit sweet? But you can check and compare both liquids.

Do you have loss of coolant?

If coolant, you might have a leaking heater core. Just use the search with 'heater core' and you will find the info how to change that one.

If no loss of coolant, no smell of coolant, maybe some drains blocked.

shellback87
06-05-2008, 07:01 AM
It is not coolant. suggestions on which drain could be backing up into the center console? I think it's a/c related because its been dry (and car has been garaged).

Does it smell and look like coolant? Cooalnt is usually greenish, but can be a different color depending what was filled in.
Coolant smells a bit sweet? But you can check and compare both liquids.

Do you have loss of coolant?

If coolant, you might have a leaking heater core. Just use the search with 'heater core' and you will find the info how to change that one.

If no loss of coolant, no smell of coolant, maybe some drains blocked.

glen-sj
06-05-2008, 09:07 AM
There should be a condensate drain for the evaporator located behind the center console. Look under the car, you should see a tube stick out from the chasis floor in the area of the center console. This could be plugged. Use a piece of wire and see if you could dislodge any debris, it is best to locate the drain from inside and push any debris out thru the tube. On the E34's the drain is located at the bottom of the cabin filter compartment. It is probably the same on your model. You need to remove the filter in order to see and access the drain. Leaves and other debris do get into the filter compartment.

Ross
06-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Ther are two of them I think

shellback87
06-16-2008, 10:28 AM
There is in fact two drains. Both were clogged/dried out. Had to go in through the inside. It was all clogged at a "rotini"-like in the middle of each line. probably there to block water, etc from blowing back off street in. Thanks for the help!!