PDA

View Full Version : E34 Steering help

calibra
06-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi all

I could do with some help in working out what’s wrong with my steering.
I am getting the shimming at 60mph but I can’t work out why
Things I have done
Fitted e39 wheels with spigots
Replaced the thrust arms
Had the wheels balanced
Had the tracking done
Adjusted the steering box as after replacing the thrust arms it had some play in the steering
I can’t think what else it could be maybe the lower arms? I did get them at the same time I got the thrust arms but didn’t get round to fitting them, the car passed the mot without them I’m at a loss really as to what next

Thanks for any help or ideas

On a plus side after fittings a starting fix from ebay for the glow plugs my fuel pump now has power running to it and I was able to get the pump running but it will to be replaced as the fins are broken but now I have power running to it I don’t mind getting the pump :D

shogun
06-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Fitted e39 wheels with spigots

Just to make sure that they really fit, make a test with original wheels and tires.

Antnicuk
06-05-2008, 12:16 PM
i had a really bad shimmy so i replaced both arms on both sides, that sorted the problems even with E39 18 inch m5 wheels.

How did you adjust your steering?, i have a bit of slack now.

calibra
06-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Just to make sure that they really fit, make a test with original wheels and tires.

I don't have any other wheels to test with but i got some more spigots today and they seem to be a better fix hoping that might fix it. also i had steel wheel nuts so i put some alloy ones on fingers crossed ;)

calibra
06-05-2008, 01:16 PM
i had a really bad shimmy so i replaced both arms on both sides, that sorted the problems even with E39 18 inch m5 wheels.

How did you adjust your steering?, i have a bit of slack now.

Humm maybe if the new spigots dont fix the prob ill fix the other arms.
Did your 18 inch wheels fit with out any mods i would like to get something bigger for mine.

For the steering i just adjusted the screw on the steering box worked well from what i can tell there is a "how to" on the site very easy and quick.

calibra
06-05-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't have any other wheels to test with but i got some more spigots today and they seem to be a better fix hoping that might fix it. also i had steel wheel nuts so i put some alloy ones on fingers crossed ;)

Well tested the car with the new spigots and its worse than ever so I'm putting down to them not sure if the wheels or duff or maybe the spigots or on wrong i fitted them onto the wheel and then put the wheel on the car looks like I'm going to need new wheels Doh

Antnicuk
06-05-2008, 04:08 PM
i run the e39 M5 wheels and fitted them a couple of weeks ago, i am still waiting for my spiggots but it seems to run fine without them.

GJPinAU
06-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Spigots??

Do a search for "Hubcentric rings"