PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor help needed......Please :)

SnakeyesTx
06-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Isn't the numbers of its series indicative of the displacement of the engine on Merc's ?

Even Oreilly's has a Delco ECU listed but its special order for the part number =/

Tiger
06-03-2008, 04:09 PM
It is unlikely to be the ECU. I would suspect the MAF at first... even though there are no code... Hook up an OBD2 scanner and check all the functions... all O2 sensor... make sure the air filter is clean,

Listen to the supercharger and see if any odd noise when revving... which could be serpentine belt slipping...

Check the crank position sensor... this is more likely than any other to cause stalling just like on our E34.

Dave M
06-03-2008, 06:24 PM
A friend of the family has a 200 SLK 230 Kompressor which stalled twice while on the highway. It went straight to the dealer after the second stall (it was restarted and drove fine for a day or two after the first stall). No codes came up, so the dealer changed the fuel filter. After a day, it stalled again, so, in lieu of no codes, the dealers next best guess was the ECU.

So, my questions are:

1) Since an ECU from MB is $2500 and a used one is 1/10 the price, are there any significant issues associated with swapping another one in? Since the ECU is still a guess, its hard to justify the $$. I read something about not being able to swap it out on vehicles newer than 2000.

2) Does anyone know of a good source for a used ECU? We only have a line on one and I'm not certain its the correct ECU as the owner didn't provide engine displacement when inquiring.

3) Is there a good MB VIN decoder out there? I would like to find the manufacture date for this thing in case we need it.

Thanks for any help, its much appreciated,

Dave M

healtoeit
06-03-2008, 07:14 PM
1) Since an ECU from MB is $2500 and a used one is 1/10 the price, are there any significant issues associated with swapping another one in? Since the ECU is still a guess, its hard to justify the $$. I read something about not being able to swap it out on vehicles newer than 2000.

Welp, I dono when mercedes stared with the UBER security system, but they have electronic coding for all PARTS of the car, if the code from the trans does not match with the code from the engine the car will not go anywhere.
They did this to prevent cars being stolen then parted out.

Dave M
06-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Isn't the numbers of its series indicative of the displacement of the engine on Merc's ?

Even Oreilly's has a Delco ECU listed but its special order for the part number =/

Yes, its a ~2.3L I4 DOHC............. Supercharged. It was the engine code (111.973) that I was looking for (and found).

I may have also located another used/reman'd ECU. Haven't heard of Oreilly's, maybe I'll take a look.

Dave

Dave M
06-03-2008, 08:47 PM
It is unlikely to be the ECU. I would suspect the MAF at first... even though there are no code... Hook up an OBD2 scanner and check all the functions... all O2 sensor... make sure the air filter is clean,

Listen to the supercharger and see if any odd noise when revving... which could be serpentine belt slipping...

Check the crank position sensor... this is more likely than any other to cause stalling just like on our E34.

I'll borrow an OBDII scanner and try this once we get the car back from the stealer. I wonder how difficult a CPS is on this thing????

Thanks,

Dave

Ross
06-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Mighty expensive parts to be guessing with Dave.
I'll bet a simpler solution will be found. FWIW the last mystery highway stalling I encountered was a poor connection to a fuel pump. The MB pump is likely underneath subject to corrosion so might be worth a lookie.
Also a bit discouraging that the well paid "experts" at MB are guessing. When left scratching their heads regarding basic they diagnostics ought to seek employment at the local muffler shop.
Good luck

Dave M
06-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Mighty expensive parts to be guessing with Dave.
I'll bet a simpler solution will be found. FWIW the last mystery highway stalling I encountered was a poor connection to a fuel pump. The MB pump is likely underneath subject to corrosion so might be worth a lookie.
Also a bit discouraging that the well paid "experts" at MB are guessing. When left scratching their heads regarding basic they diagnostics ought to seek employment at the local muffler shop.
Good luck

Well said.

There is more to this story, which involves the ordering and installation of said new ECU without consent from the owner. They went from a cheap, thoughtfull approach with the fuel filter to the most extreme, expensive guess they could make (ECU). Rather than suggesting to test the CPS, MAF, Fuel Pump, coils etc., they have spent $2500 of my friend’s money without asking.

So, I should know today whether MB Canada will release the vehicle and whether I will have the opportunity to test it with the scanner and try to solve the problem. I’ve done a bit of research and found that the fuel pump relay, the MAF and the CPS are all fairly common causes of stalling on this car.

Dave

Ross
06-04-2008, 10:08 AM
In the elderly MB cars I have worked on the overvoltage protection relay was also a common culprit for intermittant failures. I have no ideas if this is even still employed so would be cautious about recommending it be checked.
F$%&^ing great that a bunch of goofs from an internet yakfest would potentially be advising the well equipped, smartly uniformed certificate bearing "techs" at your highbrow MB retailer.

MBXB
06-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Check out these guys:

http://www.programainc.com/doc/M-Benz.html