PDA

View Full Version : Remote locking - from how far?!

e34.535i.sport
06-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Hey guys - I'm sure I've posted about this problem before a long time ago, but it's more annoying now than ever... The remote for the central locking is so poor I have to be standing right next to the car for it to work, and even then it takes a few seconds or so sometimes. The range is so ridiculous I literally may as well use the key.

My question is really what could be causing such a lack of range? I'm inclined to think the problem is related to the reciever as both remotes that I have are the same. The batteries are fine btw they have been changed. Is there anything I can do to extend the range like some way of 'boosting' the signal somehow or helping out the reciever by putting a coat hanger on it or something (only kidding with that one but you know what I mean! LOL). Is the signal met at the car by the wire under the black box on the drivers side of the engine bay (RHD)?

Any Ideas welcomed, thanks guys.

Paul in NZ
06-03-2008, 10:11 PM
the receiver is the little rectangular protusion next to the sunroof switch

shogun
06-03-2008, 11:58 PM
If it is infrared, not very far and it depends from where you try to switch.
Hold the switch into direction of the rear view mirror. In my case the receiver is close to the sunroof switch. Clean also the sender.
Also cleaning the received might help. But in any case not very far, best I can do is from the rear from about 4-5 meters.

attack eagle
06-04-2008, 04:55 AM
And tinted windows will reduce the range on IR systems.

e34.535i.sport
06-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Cheers I'll have a look at the reciever I would never have guessed where it is!

Hopefully a good clean will help... I'll let you know how it goes.