PDA

View Full Version : which spark plug is best

h2oyo
06-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Hello,
I'm trying to get all the things i'll need to do my valve cover gaskets and spark plug change out on my 1995 540i. I wish to try to do this this coming Saturday. I have valve cover gaskets left and right, the bolt gaskets, and coil cover gaskets coming. I was told that this plug is the best to run NGK BKR6EQUP (3199). Is this the correct one. I haven't seen this one spoken about when I did a search. I have seen it for newer 540's, through internet searches. I just want to hear what ya'll have to say about it. Thanks for all the advise in advance.
Johan

SnakeyesTx
06-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Love NGK's.. I started using them about 6 or 7 years ago on a big-block Jeep 3/4 ton I had when I stuck in 8 of their Iridium plugs. Since then I've been very satisfied with them and have kinda stuck with them through my bimmer's.

Tried the bosch route, tried +2's and +4's and lost 2 engines due to detonation caused by crushed plug electrodes. Both engines were replaced by bosch when they were found to be inadequate to the compression of the engines I ran them in (at a humble 9:1 and 10:1) which crushed the electrodes into the ceramic causing the plug to arc elsewhere, namely valves and in one engine caused enough heat to make a piston come apart around about 80% of the outer edge by the rings.