PDA

View Full Version : Engine Smoking

Golgade
06-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Hello,
Boy everyday I drive this car I get more and more nervous. Today someone drove behind me and told my the car smoked. So later I put it in park and checked it out. Sure enough it released not a large amount of smoke, but some, it was grey and it makes me want to cry. I have only had the car for about 1000 miles so I dont really know if it looses alot of oil. Im sure as hell not going to have the piston rings replaced, so I was thinking of just trying to put in some of the $20 engine treatment or some engine no smoke and see what happens. Anybody thing this will have ill effects to the motor or anything else? Cant the car smoke from a bad O2 sensor as Well?
Thanks
Dan Lafley
95 530i

bubba966
06-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Was the car fully warmed up yet? E34's have an exhaust system that has a lot of mass. Takes a good long time for the exhaust to fully heat up. While it's not fully heated up it's heating up the moisture in the exhaust which is what makes it "smoke" and worries a lot of people that haven't been told that it's normal.

Now if the smoke was blue (burning oil) or black (running rich) you'd have something to worry about.

Considering the weather we've been having around here the last couple of days I'd say that you've just seen the moisture from the exhaust, and that's probably it.

MBXB
06-02-2008, 07:51 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1275