PDA

View Full Version : Disconnected battery for one hour, now E34 wont start

Murphy211
05-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Hey everyone, a while back i left the lights on on my e34 for 8 hours and had to get it jump started by a tow truck.
Since then, my radio says "code", I tried putting the correct code in but no joy...
I tried disconnecting the battery for an hour with the key in position 1 and the lights on so I can start fresh and enter the code again.
After reconnecting the battery, my engine wont turn! All lights work and everything seems normal but absolutley nothing happens when I try to start my engine.

Any ideas?

Jehu
05-31-2008, 07:02 PM
my idea is your battery isn't charged enough to start the engine?

nirvana19
05-31-2008, 08:46 PM
What model/year. Perhaps some sort of immobilizer.. or not enough charge.

bad_manners_god
05-31-2008, 09:51 PM
Make sure the car is in neutral or park...

Tiger
06-01-2008, 04:50 AM
Recharge your battery first!

genphreak
06-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Hey everyone, a while back i left the lights on on my e34 for 8 hours and had to get it jump started by a tow truck.
Since then, my radio says "code", I tried putting the correct code in but no joy...
I tried disconnecting the battery for an hour with the key in position 1 and the lights on so I can start fresh and enter the code again.
After reconnecting the battery, my engine wont turn! All lights work and everything seems normal but absolutley nothing happens when I try to start my engine.

Any ideas?You may have upset the fusible link. It is worth changing these every 10 years as they go wrong in very esoteric and non-obvious ways.

However if yours is a late e34, it might be DWA has been activated. Some say you have to goto the dealer... (ie get a tow truck) I hope this isn;t the case. If you have got this, and it is having this fault, you can test for +12V on the wire from the ignition switch, if you have signal here, trace it to the back of EWS unit, then see if you have starter coming out. I don't know how thei works, but it seems to get around the DWA problem if the EWS unit is interrupting the starter signal. It might pay to check you have 12V on your fuel pump first. Good luck:) nick