PDA

View Full Version : New(used) Blower whistling. Get rid of it?

Jehu
05-31-2008, 05:44 PM
You should be able to hear it on this clip i shot last night. I bought a used motor supposedly from a 95 e34 with 103,000 miles on it . I recall hearing this sound starting last year in the one that just died but i wondered if anyone hearing this in their own has Oiled the shaft or just repositioned the motor eliminating this or weather I should just find a brand new motor. I just don't know weather this noise is a certain early sign of oncoming failure which no graphite on the shaft etc will fix.. I can return this motor and I read someone say they found just the motors sold new to which i can affix my old impellers.

http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/PICT0002.MOV

....also the lower half of the Cover Strap, a clearish plastic piece broke so I was unable to have the cover fastened tightly . I was forced to use some Aluminum Duct Tape to hold the Cover (part#6) but Looking at this diagram it seems the upper half of the Strap is part of the Lower Housing . I see a button under the lip below where the Cover fits to which the lower strap half fits so I assume if i can find one of these straps i could slip it on to the button and be back in business. Anyone ever need to find this strap which was all dried out and snapped?http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/heater%20housing.bmp

jofusfarr
05-31-2008, 06:15 PM
I JUST did this task last weekend.

I got my motor to stop squeeling by taking it out, cleaning the contacts with carb cleaner (careful to limit exposure to copper windings, it may dissolve the thin coating on the wire - but mine turned out alright), then lubing the bearings lightly with oil.

The strap is unimportant as long as the cover is secure. I didn't bother resecuring mine with it.

So far, no more noise.

Jehu
05-31-2008, 06:32 PM
I JUST did this task last weekend.

I got my motor to stop squeeling by taking it out, cleaning the contacts with carb cleaner (careful to limit exposure to copper windings, it may dissolve the thin coating on the wire - but mine turned out alright), then lubing the bearings lightly with oil.

The strap is unimportant as long as the cover is secure. I didn't bother resecuring mine with it.

So far, no more noise.

great, thanks for the report.. I was just shopping new motors so I'll give this a shot though I read in another post this may be a rather short lived fix .. let us know if the issue returns .