PDA

View Full Version : OT: Window woes

whiskychaser
05-31-2008, 12:31 PM
We all get them - simple half hour jobs that turn into half a day:( Here's mine from today. Drivers window on her 'new' Rover 600 has been playing up since we got it. It has decided to lower at 45 degrees now so time for action. The mechanism is known to go on these so I order one. My day so far:
1. Unpack new mechanism. It jams half way. Curse. Bend it till it doesnt jam
2. Take off door card. Too easy- somebody's been here before. Curse.
3. 'Good' news - old mechanism is indeed jammed. But its taken out the bottom of the glass where it attaches to the rail. Curse a lot
4. 5 phone calls later locate glass and go and get it. Remember speed camera
5. Clean glass and runners. Get in trouble for using her newest tea towels as cleaning rags. Curse silently
6. Transfer motor to new mechanism. Wont fit. Curse. Re-connect motor x 4 before motor teeth and toothed quadrant line up. Curse a lot
7. Insert mechanism and bolt it down. Insert glass and bolt to rail. Looking good!
8. Motor lethargic. Glass jumps out of rails. Curse and demand tea
9. Glass jumps out of rails x 4. Curse x 4 but louder each time
10. Battery goes flat from trying. Brink of despair. More tea
11. Penny drops. Maybe I should refit the door card to stop glass jumping out?
12. Door card refitted, brought other car round, jump started Rover. Window still slow. But it works
13. Tell her the motor is 'tired' from the mechanism jamming. Would I lie?
14. She tells me she never opens that window anyway. Curse silently
15. Put tools away.
16. Pour large drink.

e34.535i.sport
05-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Welcome to my 'average' Saturday... :D

Job well done I say.

AngryPopTart
05-31-2008, 02:06 PM
I lol'd.

bsell
06-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Sounds like a tough day...

Do you have any silicon spray handy? I would recommend spraying with silicon spray on the window felt (guides) from the top to the bottom, making sure to get into the grove. Using the supplied straw for accuracy is also recommended.

The felted rubber guides can get 'dry' over time and become overly grippy, slowing the window down and destroying fragile window lifts. It is important to get the part of the guides in the door itself, so off with the card again.:(

Brian

whiskychaser
06-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Sounds like a tough day...

Do you have any silicon spray handy? I would recommend spraying with silicon spray on the window felt (guides) from the top to the bottom, making sure to get into the grove. Using the supplied straw for accuracy is also recommended.

The felted rubber guides can get 'dry' over time and become overly grippy, slowing the window down and destroying fragile window lifts. It is important to get the part of the guides in the door itself, so off with the card again.:(

Brian
You make a very good point about the guides. I did clean them top to bottom and used silicon spray though I didnt mention it. I've got to take it out again soon to check the door lock microswitch so will be giving it another spray then:)

bsell
06-02-2008, 07:42 AM
You make a very good point about the guides. I did clean them top to bottom and used silicon spray though I didnt mention it. I've got to take it out again soon to check the door lock microswitch so will be giving it another spray then:)

If she is still acting tough after spraying her down again, there may be rust building behind the rubber seal, pushing the seal into the glass and slowing things down. I've seen window track rubber with metal stiffners rusting away, causing this kind of trouble...

Brian

whiskychaser
06-02-2008, 01:39 PM
If she is still acting tough after spraying her down again, there may be rust building behind the rubber seal, pushing the seal into the glass and slowing things down. I've seen window track rubber with metal stiffners rusting away, causing this kind of trouble...

Brian
Just to prove me a liar, she decides to use the window after all. And comes home tonight and tells me it goes up and down slowly. I've a feeling the motor has been abused for some time and needs replacing. But I'll give the guides another shot of lube till I get one. Meanwhile your phrase If she is still acting tough after spraying her down again has given me an idea...:D