PDA

View Full Version : Price comparisons for suspension pats UK.

Barney Paull-Edwards
05-31-2008, 08:46 AM
Finally located irritating knock on front left as ball joint gone on thrust arm(the one that has curve around steering arm). went to stealer who wanted £53.85 for bush alone and £112 for arm.Went to Euro C-P who supplied Lemforder arm C/W bush for £52. Bush is pretty soft so got Sikaflex 871, cleaned bush, filled voids with goo,into oven and four hours later, bush hard as nails(Sikaflex hardens to 120 shore which is same as 750 bush). Even BMW Toronto could not beat price, that said I now get Mann filters by the box from them at half UK price including delivery,£2.32 each! End of rattle and ready for another `Ring attack..........As long as I keep remembering to re-tighten shock/strut ring nut which keeps coming loose and gives another rattle!

e34.535i.sport
06-01-2008, 07:20 AM
I love your inginuity Barney, I just orded new arms with 750iL bushes and never even contemplated doing anything with the normal bushes. I wonder which will last longer?

Do you think it would be worth me slapping some of the silkaflex 871 in the 750iL bushes anyway? BTW - What is this silkaflex and is it widely available?!

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-01-2008, 08:47 PM
That one came to me from getting Gp A/N rally car engine mounts to hold together. Sikaflex make glues/rubber compounds, try your nearest Yacht chandlery, its also used to glue panels together when they are different metals. 781/782 do not go rock hard, some cars use it to glue windscreens in but make sure you thoroughly clean the rubber to be bonded to.Its also holding my spoiler together!

e34.535i.sport
06-03-2008, 09:42 AM
That one came to me from getting Gp A/N rally car engine mounts to hold together. Sikaflex make glues/rubber compounds, try your nearest Yacht chandlery, its also used to glue panels together when they are different metals. 781/782 do not go rock hard, some cars use it to glue windscreens in but make sure you thoroughly clean the rubber to be bonded to.Its also holding my spoiler together!

LOL and thanks! I'm very tempted to give my bushes that bit of extra support, to maybe increase the life if this stuff absorbs some of the shocks. I'm not too sure how the missus would feel about me baking it in the oven though! :D

Barney Paull-Edwards
06-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Sikaflex really does help especially when there are big voids or deep ones, but you must clean properly and cure it completely before installation.Transforms rear main bushes, add Bruno`s Delrins and the rear is glued. another trick we used to use is to drill tthe bush with 8mm bit and sikaflex steel rod down the holes, can`t be seen by scrutineers but turns bush nigh on solid-alledgedly of course.