PDA

View Full Version : why can't I fit E39 alloys direct to my E34?

mmaddock
05-26-2004, 03:47 AM
I did this to my last E34 without any problems, but I recently read something
about having to buy adapter rings or something.

Why?! I don't really understand much about wheels, can someone please explain. What are the consequences of not buying these adapter rings?

Thanks

Matt

albundy
05-26-2004, 03:52 AM

Why?! I don't really understand much about wheels, can someone please explain. What are the consequences of not buying these adapter rings?

Thanks

Matt
The offset is different. Need some eccentric rings/hubs. Without it, you may experience some vibration.

Rgds

mmaddock
05-26-2004, 04:35 AM
I found the article I has previously read on bmwe34.net and it says that I just need hub centric rings due to E39 being 74mm hub and E34 72.5mm, which makes sense as I could get the E39 wheels to fit on my E34, but could not get the E34 wheels to fit on my E39 (don't ask!!!)

Doesn't mention the offset. Is the offset a problem as well?

Anyone got a definitive answer on this?

Mr Project
05-26-2004, 08:03 AM
Offset should not be a problem. The primary difference is the hub size, as noted.

jjg43
05-26-2004, 08:30 AM

Thanks

Matt and they work fine with the hubcentric ring.

Tiger
05-26-2004, 09:50 AM
Ditto... but that is not a problem either... It can be corrected with a shim widely available.

shragon
05-26-2004, 12:26 PM
Offset should not be a problem. The primary difference is the hub size, as noted.
yep. offsets are pretty much the same. it's just the hub bore size is different, and this may be corrected with hub centric rings.