PDA

View Full Version : Engine mounts ay...

e34.535i.sport
05-30-2008, 07:33 AM
I recently learnt that the engine mounts on the e34 are filled with some sort of liquid... Now that is interesting because for soooo long I've been wondering where I was leaking this from and I just couldn't find anything amiss! -

http://img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/4/5/30/f_Image037m_77aa7c3.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/5/30/f_Image037m_77aa7c3.jpg&srv=img28)

Man do I feel foolish...

I'm also wondering if this would contribute to my rough idle problem as everything else seems to be fine???

Any hints/tips for changing these would be much appreciated. I've had a look around and it seems too simple to be true... Can I just take the nuts off, jack up under the engine and replace them? Do all the other parts attached to the engine have that much 'slack' - mainly worried about where the gearbox mates to the engine that kind of area. I'm hoping these aren't gonna be too expensive I've got new shocks/control arms/thrust arms on order!

Many thanks in advance.

e34.535i.sport
05-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Not done it but dont see anything wrong with the plan. My only concern would be about sticking a jack under the sump and crushing it.

Hey friend! I have similar concerns, hopefully a nice slab of wood will ease the pain... May even slap a small cushion under there if thats not OTT!

Just to cheer you up for the weekend, you might want to look at the gearbox mounts too:D

I was foxlike when I got a shop to do the clutch, I got them to put new gearbox mounts in and a new Guibo! I can't be bothered with that side of things with working on the floor. Get me some ramps and I'll happily explore!

e34.535i.sport
05-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Yep, liquid filled:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/mmount.jpg

Wo - that some freaky ****!

A block of wood under the pan help, if not only giving a sense of security. If you bias the jack & raise only one side at a time, the other side you can put a bottle under the a/c compressor bracket.

You must be thinking of a posh e34... I'm A/C~less! :D

So you can just put the jack on one side of the sump and lift... Change the mount then move to the other side?

whiskychaser
05-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Not done it but dont see anything wrong with the plan. My only concern would be about sticking a jack under the sump and crushing it. Just to cheer you up for the weekend, you might want to look at the gearbox mounts too:D

gale
05-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Yep, liquid filled:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/mmount.jpg

A block of wood under the pan help, if not only giving a sense of security. If you bias the jack & raise only one side at a time, the other side you can put a bottle under the a/c compressor bracket.

nirvana19
05-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Wo - that some freaky ****!

You must be thinking of a posh e34... I'm A/C~less! :D

So you can just put the jack on one side of the sump and lift... Change the mount then move to the other side?

They made 535is without A/C? I know in most other countries the options vary dramatically but I always though that all of the top of the line 535s would have had that as standard.. were there 535s without power windows and the likes?

AngryPopTart
05-31-2008, 12:57 AM
OMG, those things really have liquid in them? I thought someone was just making a joke because it's so impossible to keep from getting oil on the right-side mount when removing the oil filter. O_O

Any chance of finding some simple, solid replacements?

shogun
05-31-2008, 01:43 AM
OMG, those things really have liquid in them? I thought someone was just making a joke because it's so impossible to keep from getting oil on the right-side mount when removing the oil filter. O_O

Any chance of finding some simple, solid replacements?

Yes, you can just bolt the engine onto the frame with bolts without any cushion ;)

What a question.......

They last for many years, but engine oil, Pentosin and other stuff dropping on them reduce their lifetime.

e34.535i.sport
05-31-2008, 02:59 AM
Howdy,

You should leave them until you get the kind of engine bucking we used to see from the old Fiesta engine when the mounts on that went... Although I suppose if you rev too hard with the extra power in this, it may just come right up and kiss you in the face. :D

I'll be up for helping replace these along with the other stuff, have you found a good price on the mounts yet?

LOL! :D It was indeed funny until the engine started bashing the bonnet up on acceleration... Those were the days.

Going to ring my guy at CES now see what he can do mounts-wise... One thing after another doesn't even cut it anymore... Its one thing - with another! :p

Peace out.

anonymous1
05-31-2008, 04:49 AM
Howdy,

You should leave them until you get the kind of engine bucking we used to see from the old Fiesta engine when the mounts on that went... Although I suppose if you rev too hard with the extra power in this, it may just come right up and kiss you in the face. :D

I'll be up for helping replace these along with the other stuff, have you found a good price on the mounts yet?

Barney Paull-Edwards
05-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Did mine last year,drivers side a piece of cake, jack sump(wood between) but LHS is tricky. it takes a fair bit of Gorilla but will go,you have to jack to the point of pain to get clearance to get bolt in OR unbolt mount from block carefully,ease mount in loose,tighten block bolts with loc-ktite and tighten mount,this way you don`t need to alter jack to get both done.

Barney Paull-Edwards
05-31-2008, 08:57 AM
Just realised, quite a lot of UK cars do not have the hydraulic mounts,`88 Transit Petrol mounts fit a treat @£11 a pair, no locate pin but so what?!