PDA

View Full Version : Stiff E34 steering column ignition lock

ktteoh
05-27-2008, 04:30 PM
folks, recently i notice (on unlocking ie when turning the key to start the car), the lock feels stiff and i need to turn the steering left or right a bit to free it up.

i have sprayed WD40 oil into the keyhole but no much difference.

a couple of weeks i had my steering column removed.

what could cause such stiffness?

what is the purpose of parts 6, 7, 8 & 9 in this realoem URL:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD52&mospid=47375&btnr=32_0431&hg=32&fg=30

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/n/k/2.png

ktteoh
05-28-2008, 07:21 AM
ross, sounds dangerous. what is the part that is flexing or going to break? any pictures?

i probably should stop using the car till i get it fixed.

healtoeit
05-28-2008, 08:20 AM
folks, recently i notice (on unlocking ie when turning the key to start the car), the lock feels stiff and i need to turn the steering left or right a bit to free it up.

i have sprayed WD40 oil into the keyhole but no much difference.

a couple of weeks i had my steering column removed.

what could cause such stiffness?

It is your steering lock, if you shut off the car and lock the wheel you cannot turn the car key.

Ross
05-28-2008, 09:34 AM
If the wheels are turned in such a manner to bind the locking mechanism this is normal and turning the steering whell to relieve the bind is the correct solution. Imagine trying to turn a door knob while someone is forcing their weight against the door, the latch binds.
A portion of your locking mechanism is weak and often breaks. The solution is a new steering column lock, not the key lock.
If you begin to feel a "delayed action" when starting it is likely flexing and ready to fail. Apparently BMW in the UK has acknowledged this and is offering replacements. Those of us in the US are left to twist in the wind.
The part is around $100 and is DIYable but a real pain for some.
Search steering lock for more.

leicesterboy15
05-28-2008, 10:19 AM
My car was recalled as stated above, maybe give BMW a ring and ask them to carry out this recall? Link here:

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37325&highlight=recall

bubba966
05-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Your steering lock is probably going to break soon. Get it replaced before it breaks. Because when it breaks you'll be stuck somewhere as not only will you not be able to start the car, but the steering wheel will stay locked.

Been there, done that, no fun.

And if you have a problem getting the ignition cylinder out of the steering lock ask me about how you can get it out easy. And how to modify the new steering lock so that it's easier to get the ignition cylinder out of it as well.

ktteoh
05-29-2008, 12:40 AM
bubba966, could you fill me with more details on:

-tip to easily get the ignition cylinder out
-your mod for the new steering lock

And if you have a problem getting the ignition cylinder out of the steering lock ask me about how you can get it out easy. And how to modify the new steering lock so that it's easier to get the ignition cylinder out of it as well.

Ross
05-29-2008, 07:53 AM
#2 in this illustration.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HJ63&mospid=47414&btnr=32_0908&hg=32&fg=30
Also buy two bolts, #4.
When the part fails the steering locks but it fails when attempting to start the car in every case I've heard of.
The part that breaks is a connecting link between the key lock and the electrical switch on the opposite side of the column, it also incorporates a cam that operates the bolt which locks the steering column. It's not available seperately hence not shown in any of the diagrams.
About the only concession BMW in the USA has made is the dealers stock the part.

shogun
05-29-2008, 09:32 AM
My car was recalled as stated above, maybe give BMW a ring and ask them to carry out this recall? Link here:

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37325&highlight=recall

That refered only to the Touring, same in Germany

Ross
05-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Any idea why only tourings? The part is shared with all cars. Isn't it?

bubba966
05-29-2008, 02:12 PM
bubba966, could you fill me with more details on:

-tip to easily get the ignition cylinder out
-your mod for the new steering lock

So your steering lock is part #2 in this diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD52&mospid=47375&btnr=32_0907&hg=32&fg=30

Part #5 is the ignition cylinder

Part #11 are the anti-theft bolts.

You're going to need a Dremel tool or some other tool with a small cutoff wheel to grind a slot in the anti-theft bolts to get them out with a flat bladed screwdriver.

And you're going to need the same Dremel/cutoff tool to use for extracting the ignition cylinder easier & for modding the new steering lock to make any future removals of the ignition cylinder easier.

When you're looking at the steering lock you'll see a hump on the lock over top of the ignition cylinder. Look straight at the ignition cylinder and you'll see a small hole on the outside edge of the cylinder that should be about dead center of where that hump is in the steering lock. You're supposed to insert a stiff piece of wire in that hole while having the ignition turned to the right spot to release a catch in the cylinder that keep it in the steering lock.

Problem being that as time goes on, the grease that's used for lube in the ignition cylinder gets old and gums up that catch enough so that you can't move it with a piece of wire that's small enough to actually fit in that hole.

So, what you can do is take that cutoff wheel and very carefully cut a slot in the middle of that hump. Keep checking it as you're cutting so that you don't go too deep and hit the cylinder catch. Cut it deep enough to just barely cut through the aluminum of the steering lock.

Now that you've got a small slot cut in the housing, use a small flat bladed screwdriver and push it in the slot so that you push that catch down, thereby allowing you to pull the cylinder out.

When you use the wire method, you're releasing that catch from the inside of the cylinder. When you cut the slot and push it down with the screwdriver you're releasing the catch from the outside of the cylinder.

And cut that same slot in your new steering lock. It should be a lot easier in the new one as you can see exactly where the catch fits into the hump on the top of the steering lock.

Sorry, I never took pictures of this when I was doing it. But you should be able to figure it out when you've got the new steering lock in your hand and you can look at them both to figure out where the release catch is on the ignition cylinder.

Trust me, the slot & screwdriver method is a whole lot easier than the wire method. I spent hours, and hours, and hours trying many different pieces of wire and never, ever got it to work. All because of the old grease in the cylinder...

leicesterboy15
05-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Any idea why only tourings? The part is shared with all cars. Isn't it?

Thats what I would have thought. I thought they put touring on the letter because mine is a touring not that it was specific to tourings but then again it wouldn't surprise me.

Ross
05-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Who knew?
Checking realoem for my old touring and my current sedan, same year (95) the locks are different.
I'd love to know the reason.