PDA

View Full Version : Is this a great deal or what?!

e34.535i.sport
05-26-2008, 02:30 AM
Looking around for prices on Lower and Upper control arms for when I change out the front shocks - I think the weak shock on the passenger side has played havoc with everything else so I want to change the lot...

Came across this which seems like exactly what I need:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E34-Control-Arms-Thrust-Arm-Arms-525-530-535-540-M5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122QQcategor yZ33583QQihZ004QQitemZ140233753769QQrdZ1QQsspagena meZWD2V

Is it too good to be true?! The price is amazing in comparison to what I would have to pay over here... I'd be looking at well over double that for the upgraded bushings as well.

Cheers fellas.

BigKriss
05-26-2008, 09:08 AM
i would be wary, first the thrust arm bushes looks like they use the 'green' bush, that little triangular thingy, so i'm pretty sure that bush is the standard one and not the 750 item (i can't be certain though) the picture they use is poor and too small.
its definately not the m5 thrust arm bush

secondly, the lower control arms are only, m5 variety because they are alloy and not steel. probably best to get new items from bma

repenttokyo
05-26-2008, 11:51 AM
I paid $105 each for my Lemforder upper control arms. research and see if anyone has had success with these in their car. Otherwise, ask yourself how often you want to keep changing control arms.

Phatty5BMW
05-26-2008, 05:32 PM
I paid $105 each for my Lemforder upper control arms. research and see if anyone has had success with these in their car. Otherwise, ask yourself how often you want to keep changing control arms.

I got em, still not been able to drive the car on them yet, even though I did these a few months ago. Too many things going on lately and been ridin the bike everywhere. I just need an alignment still........ :( Though I did drive it with a shitty alignment, the front end did seem pretty stiff. I talked to them about the warranty and it is covered through douche parts, not manufacturer, and have a 1 year unlimited mile warranty. Btw, they drop ship from a different location, not the one you buy it from. I bought the 9 peice kit for 210 I believe. You may want to spend the extra few bucks and get a buttload of parts, if you go this route....

-Pat

e34.535i.sport
05-26-2008, 06:08 PM
i would be wary, first the thrust arm bushes looks like they use the 'green' bush, that little triangular thingy, so i'm pretty sure that bush is the standard one and not the 750 item (i can't be certain though) the picture they use is poor and too small.
its definately not the m5 thrust arm bush

secondly, the lower control arms are only, m5 variety because they are alloy and not steel. probably best to get new items from bma

I looked around a bit & it looks like thegreen bushings for the thrust arms are the 750iL variety, the other ones are difficult to tell apart but they reckon they're heavy duty so I assume they will be from the m5. I like the idea of aluminium control arms too as they help shed a bit of weight even if its minimal!! I'm seriously considering the purchase...

e34.535i.sport
05-26-2008, 06:23 PM

Hey there, what you say makes sense but those are way too expensive at the moment... I'm looking for the most 'economical' choice at the moment. Last time I bought arms I went with the cheap ones & haven't had any problems at all besides what the worn shock has caused on the passenger side. The bush is dead but the balljoints seem to be holding up well.

The alternative to new whole arms is to buy a powerflex kit and get the bushes pressed in...

repenttokyo
05-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Hey there, what you say makes sense but those are way too expensive at the moment... I'm looking for the most 'economical' choice at the moment. Last time I bought arms I went with the cheap ones & haven't had any problems at all besides what the worn shock has caused on the passenger side. The bush is dead but the balljoints seem to be holding up well.

The alternative to new whole arms is to buy a powerflex kit and get the bushes pressed in...

i understand what you are saying, and it might be 'economical' to pay less for a low quality part up front, but with suspension components, they take a lot of abuse, and you could very well be back in the same position in 6 months.

e34.535i.sport
05-26-2008, 10:22 PM
yeah, I mentioned this ebay auction a few threads back. I was also looking at the auction but still can't decide if it's really worth it. Obviously most of the seller feedback is never long-term so one cannot tell.

I might as well try it out and give everyone the results.

Sorry I missed that, but I think I'll give them a whirl and report back in a few months to let everyone know how they hold up. Seems like its too good a deal to pass up.

Sixdown
05-27-2008, 01:22 AM
yeah, I mentioned this ebay auction a few threads back. I was also looking at the auction but still can't decide if it's really worth it. Obviously most of the seller feedback is never long-term so one cannot tell.

I might as well try it out and give everyone the results.

e34.535i.sport
05-27-2008, 04:32 AM
Hey Ferret.

I can totally see your point but at the end of the day I would only be able to afford the cheap arms here, like I have put in previously. Another option I would like to do but haven't really looked into is this... I could keep the lower arms as they are becasue they seem to be ok. Then I could remove the upper arms and get the powerflex bushings in there and see how it holds up once I get the new shocks in. The only problem I can foresee with this is removing the upper arm balljoints without damaging them (and the rubber boots), this could be tricky.

BTW, powerflex bushings dont need to be 'pressed' in, you just cut the old one out and the new one is a hand-push fit...

That is a useful piece of information! I have access to a press in work anyway but don't have any additional pieces which I assumed you would need to make the bushing sit perfectly in the middle.

Ferret
05-27-2008, 05:51 AM
Sorry I missed that, but I think I'll give them a whirl and report back in a few months to let everyone know how they hold up. Seems like its too good a deal to pass up.

Hmm, I'd be a bit sus about these, £~70 ish for a whole set where that can be the cost of a SINGLE lemfoerder alu arm in this country...?

I'd step carefully with this one - I was also advised that on-the-road you'll notice little or no difference between alu and steel lowers (ex-bmw head tech, who's been running his indy shop for 15 years or so now) - except on the track where the alu ones are prone to flexing more!

BTW, powerflex bushings dont need to be 'pressed' in, you just cut the old one out and the new one is a hand-push fit...

dave.o
05-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Hello John
My recommendation would be to go polybushes I fitted them to mine and they are holding up well with no diiscernable negatives that I can detect. Ferret is correct they don't need pressing in. Personally I would go German Swedish and French or EuroParts and buy arms without inner bushes and stick polybushes in em. They can be found on Fleabay for resonable price,that's where mine came from anyway.

I can totally see your point but at the end of the day I would only be able to afford the cheap arms here, like I have put in previously. Another option I would like to do but haven't really looked into is this... I could keep the lower arms as they are becasue they seem to be ok. Then I could remove the upper arms and get the powerflex bushings in there and see how it holds up once I get the new shocks in. The only problem I can foresee with this is removing the upper arm balljoints without damaging them (and the rubber boots), this could be tricky.

That is a useful piece of information! I have access to a press in work anyway but don't have any additional pieces which I assumed you would need to make the bushing sit perfectly in the middle.[/QUOTE]

Ferret
05-28-2008, 02:28 AM
The only problem I can foresee with this is removing the upper arm balljoints without damaging them (and the rubber boots), this could be tricky.

If you've got space, dont bother taking the upper and lower arms out of the lower bolt plate, take the arms - still attached to the plate - to the press...

Leave the car on bricks/stands for a day or get someone in to guard it if it's exposed like this.

e34.535i.sport
05-28-2008, 05:51 PM
I didn't even think of removing the plate, what a muppet. That would have made it real easy to do the powerflex bushings while replacing the shocks.

The problem seems to be worsening and I may even have a crack in the centre tie rod now due to the violent movements of the suspension over bumps or small holes. In my haste to get it sorted before more things get damaged I've ordered the new arms and I'm still waiting on the shocks. Hopefully both will arrive soon because it's bad enough to make me avoid driving where possible. I've even began cycling... Scary I know.

I think the poly bushings are the way to go so I think my best bet for now is to get the new stuff in and when the 750iL bushes start to wear (and the bank balance recovers!) I'll get the powerflex and throw them in the existing arms.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated on any progress.